Quick take: Axios is a company dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news content in an audience-first format. We are hiring a Reporter to cover the Indianapolis area as part of our growing local news initiative, which is extending our mission to America’s hometowns.
Why it matters: We are taking our Smart Brevity approach to local markets to help readers understand what’s happening in their own backyards. This reporter will create a meaningful local presence in their market, getting readers smarter, faster on the news that matters to them. This reporter will connect the dots between local, national, and global developments to make readers aware of the narratives shaping their lives.
Go deeper: We are looking for skilled writers who care deeply about local news and are obsessed with innovative ways to cover it. Requirements include:
- Authoring a daily Axios newsletter that features insights and scoops that matter most to their local audience
- A command of the local market along with the sourcing necessary to illuminate busy readers about the communities where they live
- Helping to building Axios Local and shaping how the product evolves
- Collaborating across teams at Axios to create stories that have impact and bringing stories to life across multiple platforms (online, video, broadcast, or podcast)
The details: Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit, a passion for Axios’ mission and have the following skills:
- Experience covering news in Indianapolis
- Excellent sources and ability to create new ones
- Strong reporting skills and comfort working in a fast-paced news environment and on deadline
- Ability to break news and create conceptual scoops
- Deep knowledge of the local market, including politics, business, and/or social issues
- Background in understanding local and national news coverage more broadly
- A belief in and dedication to writing in Smart Brevity
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- Commuter and cell phone benefit
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Annual learning and development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Company-sponsored access to Ginger coaching and mental health support
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Classpass discount
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.