Quick take: Axios is a growth-stage startup dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news content in an audience-first format. We are hiring a Finance Controller who will report into our Chief Financial Officer.
Go deeper: In this role, you will make an impact to Axios through the following responsibilities:
- Oversee the management and operations of the accounting department
- Scaling and creating efficiencies in cross-functional processes to facilitate growth and diversification of product and business lines
- Issue timely and complete monthly financial statements
- Manage and mentor accounting associates
- Enhance and enforce a documented system of accounting policies and procedures as well as a system of controls over accounting transactions
- Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit
- Work cross-departmentally with other stakeholders to monitor and track KPIs and communicate variances from the budget to management
- Monitor debt levels and compliance with financial covenants
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
The details: Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit and passion for Axios’ mission and have the following skills/experience:
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or business administration
- Equivalent business experience and at least 10 years of progressively responsible experience for a large corporation
- Preference will be given to candidates with the Certified Public Accountant designations or Big4 experience.
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency in Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint, and Sage Inacct
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Collaborative management style
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- Company equity
- Commuter and cell phone benefit
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Tele-mental health services
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Virtual company-sponsored social events
Base salary for this role is in the range of $200k - $260k and is dependent on numerous factors, including but not limited to location, work experience, and skills. This range does not include other compensation benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.