Quick take: Axios is a growth-stage startup dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news content in an audience-first format. We're hiring a Director of Event, Axios Local to manage day to day client relationships and deliverables and ensure we remain true to our editorial standards while also working alongside sponsors for their defined sponsor integrations. Ultimately, the goal of each event is to bring our local audiences together for worthy editorial conversations across the country.
Why it matters: After successfully launching daily newsletters in fourteen cities, we are quickly expanding Axios Local to new markets across the country. We are looking for a Director who will oversee and execute on deliverables for 2-3 events per week, brainstorm creative concepts to bring our events to life as well as client relationships.
This role will also provide direction to junior team members, serve as a liaison with events vendors, and create and implement assigned elements of events.
Go deeper: This role will manage multiple, concurrent events while moving at a fast pace and the customer relationship post-sale, in collaboration with cross functional teams to provide implementation guidance and drive activation for events.
The details: Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit, a passion for Axios’ mission and have the following skills:
- 5+ years of high volume, fast-paced events experience
- Proven track record of client/relationship management experience
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- An eye for design and creative vision
- Proficiency in Powerpoint
- Experience supporting or mentoring junior team members
- Positive attitude and ability to thrive in high-pressure environment
- Desire to work hard, learn new skills, and grow professionally
- Willingness to work early mornings and late nights
- Willingness to travel regularly
- Project management software experience is a plus (i.e. Wrike)
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- Company equity
- Commuter and cell phone benefit
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Annual learning and development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Tele-mental health services
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Virtual company-sponsored social events
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.