Quick take: Axios is a growth-stage startup dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news content in an audience-first format. We're hiring a health care reporter!
Why it matters: We are looking for a smart and versatile reporter to help us take Axios’ industry-leading health care coverage to the next level. This person will contribute to Axios’ daily newsletter, Vitals, and write breaking news and analysis on and around the health care beat. A successful candidate for this job will be well sourced in the health care industry and a great reporter and writer. Business reporting experience is a plus.
Go deeper: This person will be responsible for writing breaking news and enterprise stories across politics and business topics related to health care, including stories that can lead the Vitals newsletter and the Axios site as needed. This person should be versatile enough to report on everything from broad-interest stories like COVID and the future of medical care to specific topics like the pharmaceutical industry, hospitals and medical research. This person will be capable of representing Axios on different media outlets and driving the conversation with conceptual scoops and trend stories.
The details: Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit and passion for Axios’ mission. Candidates must demonstrate the ability to break stories, spot trends for longer-range coverage, and convey contextual meaning to developments on the beat. Ideal candidates will also have the following skills:
- A deep understanding of the health care landscape
- A passion for health care coverage and trends
- Ability to drive the conversation with conceptual scoops and trend stories
- Ability to write stories that work for both general audiences and expert readers
- Positive attitude and ability to thrive in high pressure news environment
- Enthusiasm and lots of story ideas
- A commitment to a diverse and inclusive environment
- A belief in Smart Brevity as the core writing style of Axios
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- Company equity
- Commuter and cell phone benefit
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Annual learning and development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Tele-mental health services
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Virtual company-sponsored social events
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.