Quick take: Axios is dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news content in an audience-first format. We are hiring an editor to help launch a paid subscription news product to expand our coverage of the most important news about health care policy in Congress and government agencies.
Why it matters: Reporting to our senior health care editor the health care policy editor will play a critical role in creating a brand new editorial business for Axios with a sharp eye on scoops and big picture trend stories and managing 3 reporters responsible for an agenda-setting newsletter on health care.
Go deeper: In this role, you will make an impact to Axios through the following responsibilities:
- Serve as player/coach, navigating between supporting the needs of journalists and producing content to build a subscription health care product
- Edit newsletters and stories and embody a culture of journalistic best practices
- Contribute to news products by writing and breaking relevant news stories
- Coordinate coverage with the broader health care team and Axios newsroom
- Help determine how to strike the right balance between stories and scoops in our free products and what should stay behind the paywall
The details: Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit and passion for Axios’ mission and have the following skills:
- A commitment to building and nurturing a diverse and inclusive environment
- A belief in Smart Brevity as the core writing style of Axios
- Strong management skills to oversee and support a team of journalists
- Editing experience in a fast-paced news environment
- Demonstrated experience conceptualizing big ideas and seeing them through.
- Strong writing and editing skills for online and newsletters
- Experience working across teams to produce quality content
- Demonstrated knowledge of digital and social media landscape
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to assign and manage multiple stories at once
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- Commuter and cell phone benefit
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Annual learning and development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Tele-mental health services
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Class Pass discount
- Virtual company-sponsored social events
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
Salary Range: Base salary for this role is in the range of $60,000-$120,000 and is dependent on numerous factors, including but not limited to location, work experience, and skills. This range does not include other compensation benefits.