Quick take: Axios is a growth-stage startup dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news content in an audience-first format. We are hiring reporters to help launch a paid subscription news product to expand our coverage of the most important news about health care policy in Washington.
Why it matters: In just three years, Axios has built a newsroom of more than 150 talented journalists committed to providing our readers the most trustworthy information in the most efficient way possible. Our health care Reporter will work with a partner to write a daily newsletter with a sharp eye on scoops and big picture trend stories.
Go deeper: In this role, you will make an impact to Axios through the following responsibilities:
- Launch THE daily, must-read newsletter for influential readers who need to know what’s happening in the halls of Congress and agencies.
- Land definitional scoops and illuminate the biggest trends
- Work with the Axios health care team and the broader Axios newsroom to elevate all of our coverage that touches on health care
The details: Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit and passion for Axios’ mission and have the following skills:
- A commitment to building and nurturing a diverse and inclusive environment
- A belief in Smart Brevity as the core writing style of Axios
- Reporting experience in a fast-paced news environment
- Demonstrated experience landing big scoops and conceptualizing big ideas
- Strong writing skills for online and newsletters
- Experience working across teams to produce quality content
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- Company equity
- Commuter and cell phone benefit
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Annual learning and development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Tele-mental health services
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Virtual company-sponsored social events
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.