Quick Take: Axios is a growth-stage startup dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news content in an audience-first format. We are hiring a Senior Editor, Axios Latino to help oversee our coverage of the Latino community and support our partnership with Telemundo.
Why it Matters: In under five years, Axios has built a newsroom of more than 150 talented journalists committed to providing our readers the most trustworthy information in the most efficient way possible. Reporting to our Managing Editor, Global News, the Senior Editor will play a critical role shaping our news coverage, supporting our talent and helping steer Axios to new successes in the future as we continue on this incredible growth trajectory.
Go Deeper: The Senior Editor, will have the following responsibilities:
- Oversee daily news coverage and content for the Axios Latino newsletter, published in partnership with Telemundo. Manage team of reporters between Axios and Telemundo and serve as editorial partnership lead between the news organizations.
- Contribute to Axios’s ongoing coverage of Hard Truths (see more here)
- Develop new ideas to expand the Axios Latino brand into new mediums such as live and virtual events, video and podcast content. Work closely with the Axios events team to plan flagship events to convene influential Latino leaders.
- Work closely with the other editors and reporters on other topics such as politics, business and world news in Latin America to help cover stories that cross beats
- In addition to editing, this person will occasionally report and write stories
- Coordinate with Axios’s breaking newsdesk to ensure comprehensive coverage of the news of the day.
- Likely manage a team of 3 journalists.
The Details: Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit, a passion for Axios’ mission and have the following skills:
- Editing experience in a fast-paced news environment
- Demonstrated experience conceptualizing big ideas and seeing them through.
- Strong writing and editing skills for online, newsletters and ability to translate stories to other platforms such as video and audio.
- Strong knowledge of politics, business and race/ethnicity and how they intersect
- Experience working across teams to produce quality content
- Demonstrated knowledge of digital and social media landscape
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to assign and manage multiple stories at once
- Strong management skills to oversee and support a team of journalists
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- Company equity
- Commuter and cell phone benefit
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Annual learning and development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Tele-mental health services
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Virtual company-sponsored social events
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.