The big picture: Axios is a growth-stage startup dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news content in an audience-first format. We’re looking for a Product Manager to contribute to our publishing tools and editorial features across our website and newsletters.
Why it matters: This role is key to helping the newsroom shape the journalism that makes people smarter, faster. Our readers come to Axios to get caught up on what’s important and why it matters -- we build products to facilitate and enhance that experience.
What we’re all about: We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, skills, and perspectives. We believe that inclusion drives true innovation, and a best-in-class experience for our readers and team members alike. We are intently focused on building a user-centric, editorially rich organization with an innovative and collaborative work culture contributing to the future of news.
Go deeper: In this role, you will make an impact on Axios through the following responsibilities:
- Contribute to the product strategy and OKRs for the newsroom tools and editorial features across our website and newsletters
- Represent the team in conversations with the newsroom, product, design, technology partners as well as senior management
- Drive product development through the entire development cycle, from ideation, design and development, through to launch, support and optimization
- Manage sprint planning and coordinate releases, which includes providing project progress, status & visibility (as needed)
- Plan ahead and ensure product backlog is prioritized, groomed, and has sufficient detail
- Partner with stakeholders, design, and engineers, to collect feature requests, user behavior trends, and analyze issues to identify areas of improvement within the product
- Work closely with engineers and leads to create the necessary artifacts to keep delivery on track
The details: Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit, a passion for Axios’ mission, and have the following skills:
- Track record of shipping digital products that solve problems and delight users
- Self-motivated, well organized, and have the analytical skills that allow you to make difficult decisions thoughtfully
- Commitment to quality - you take pride in facilitating your team to deliver unmatched products with measurable value
- Driven by passion, not ego, with a pride in your craft
- A passion for news and media, and its role in the lives of our users
- Self-motivated to dive in and figure things out and proactively reach out for help when necessary
- Experience setting team strategy and defining OKRs is preferred
- Ability to run efficient meetings, facilitate discussion and present to senior leadership
What we look for:
- You love our users. You’re always seeking to gain a deeper understanding of their needs so you can come up with new ways to serve and delight them.
- Your integrity is inspiring. You know at your core what’s the right thing to do, and you’re the first to express when you see something that’s not.
- You’re curious and inquisitive. To the benefit of everyone, you challenge yourself to learn about different perspectives that help you grow, learn, and develop expertise.
- You’re receptive. You don’t assume that no news is good news and welcome constructive feedback and reflection.
- You challenge yourself. In a supportive environment, you’re not afraid to engage in discussions that invite different perspectives - in fact they help you learn and develop expertise.
- You’re exacting, yet flexible. Prepared, precise, and proactive could be how your colleagues describe you, but never dogmatic, rigid, nor stubborn.
- You’re an advocate. You build long-term relationships of accountability and are responsive to the experiences, voices and perspectives of all people.
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- Company equity
- Commuter and cell phone benefit
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Annual learning and development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Company-sponsored access to Ginger coaching and mental health support
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Class pass discount
- Virtual company-sponsored social events
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.