Quick Take: Axios is a growth-stage startup dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news content in an audience-first format. We're hiring a Managing Editor to help oversee our Axios Local coverage across our growing list of cities and support our ambitions to expand into dozens more.
Why it Matters: In just three years, Axios has built a newsroom of more than 110 talented journalists committed to providing our readers the most trustworthy information in the most efficient way possible. Reporting to our Editor-in-Chief, the Managing Editor for Local, will play a critical role in sharpening our news coverage, supporting our talent and helping steer Axios to new successes in the future as we continue on this incredible growth trajectory.
Go Deeper: The Managing Editor for Local will have the following responsibilities:
- Oversee the team producing the Axios Local daily newsletters across the country, help hire and train reporters to launch in new cities and conceive larger, more ambitious journalism products that use the growing number of Axios Local reporters nationwide
- Coordinate the work of Axios Local reporters with the broader Axios newsletter and facilitate bigger projects like Deep Dives, or appearances on Axios on HBO
- Lead a large remote newsroom of more than 50 people, and directly manage both editors and reporters around the country.
The Details: Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit, a passion for Axios’ mission and have the following skills:
- A commitment to building and nurturing a diverse and inclusive environment
- A belief in Smart Brevity as the core writing style of Axios
- Strong management skills to oversee and support a team of journalists
- Editing experience in a fast-paced news environment
- Demonstrated experience conceptualizing big ideas and seeing them through.
- Strong writing and editing skills for online, newsletters and ability to translate stories to other platforms such as video and audio.
- Experience working across teams to produce quality content
- Demonstrated knowledge of digital and social media landscape
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to assign and manage multiple stories at once
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- Company equity
- Commuter and cell phone benefit
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Annual learning and development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Tele-mental health services
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Virtual company-sponsored social events
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.