Quick Take: Axios is a growth-stage startup dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news content in an audience-first format. We are hiring a reporter to cover Capitol Hill.
Why it Matters: We are expanding our Politics coverage to focus deeply on Hill leadership and big-picture strategy.
Go Deeper: Our Congressional Reporter will collaborate with our Politics team to report on the biggest stories and trends shaping the United States Congress, highlight the goals and motivations of congressional leaders, and break news to help shape the legislative agenda.
The Details: Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit and passion for Axios’ mission. Candidates must demonstrate the ability to break stories, spot trends for longer-range coverage, and convey contextual meaning to developments on the beat. Ideal candidates will also have the following skills:
- Deep experience on Capitol Hill, either as a journalist or staffer, and the ability to see past the daily noise to spot the news and trends that matter
- Positive attitude and ability to collaborate and thrive in high-pressure news environments
- Ability to represent Axios coverage at events and on external media channels
- Commitment to the Axios mission and Smart Brevity style
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- Company equity
- Commuter and cell phone benefit
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Annual learning and development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Tele-mental health services
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Classpass discount
- Virtual company-sponsored social events
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.