Quick Take: Axios is a growth-stage startup dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news content in an audience-first format. We are hiring a Race and Justice Reporter.
Why it Matters: Our coverage is built on our architecture of Smart Brevity, and driven by the great collisions of our time — business, tech, media, politics and science. This reporter will cover a new beat at Axios, which is the role of race in America and the U.S. justice system.
Go Deeper: The Race and Justice Reporter will:
- Have a strong command of this topic and sourcing, and will contribute to weekly Axios newsletters and daily news as it relates to their beat
- Contribute to a year-long newsroom project examining multiple facets of systemic racism in the U.S., from the criminal justice system to politics and education
- Bring a news focus on the topics of race and justice, both in terms of their relation to major current events and how the broader concepts of race and justice intersect with other important topics covered by Axios, including tech, cities, politics, healthcare, education etc.
- Closely collaborate across teams at Axios, pairing with others on the systemic racism project, and have familiarity with telling stories on multiple platforms, including online, video and broadcast or podcast.
The Details: Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit, a passion for Axios’ mission and have the following skills:
- ~5 years of experience covering policing and/or the justice system at a local and/or national level
- Deep knowledge of how the justice system works and the players and structures within that perpetuate systemic racism
- Background covering racial issues in America more broadly and strong familiarity with current research and data sources on racial inequity
- Enthusiasm for collaborating with other Axios reporters to create journalism content at the intersection of race and justice with other topics including tech, cities, politics, healthcare, education, etc.
- A belief in and commitment to producing new stories in Smart Brevity
- Comfort with a fast-paced newsroom environment
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- Company equity
- Commuter and cell phone benefit
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per month
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Tele-mental health services
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Weekly company-sponsored exercise and meditation classes
- Virtual company-sponsored social events