Away is seeking a detail-oriented production artist who will be responsible for converting our design files into press-ready mechanicals for print, packaging and digital formatting. Your role will be to preserve the creative integrity of our design team’s files while refining them into flawless mechanical artwork for our print and manufacturing vendors. You will be responsible for ensuring all creative work has been meticulously proofread, meets strict brand guidelines, and is checked for potential executional errors.
The production artist is responsible for prioritizing and managing workflow, while ensuring that all assigned projects are sent to print and delivered on-time and on-budget (avoiding late fees and identifying efficiencies). This individual is an efficient multitasker and problem-solver – capable of sourcing vendors, attending on-site press checks, reviewing proofs, and requesting quotes. He/she is capable of balancing a fast-paced workflow while developing new processes to keep Away’s growth mapped for its highest potential.
- Reports directly to Head of Creative Services
- Has strong time management skills, is highly organized, independent, and proactive in problem-prevention and problem-solving
- Has the ability to operate under pressure, with aggressive deadlines
What you'll do:
- Ensure designs are aligned with Away’s standards; this includes adjusting graphics, typography, and layout to ensure brand consistency
- Understand the manufacturing processes by which a given design mechanical is produced and distributed. Must raise flags when needed, while consistently building mechanical files without error
- Compare all material samples against specifications to adhere to critical brand elements and requested design finishes (paper weight, texture, function), and to provide alternative solutions when requested samples are unavailable or exceed budget
- Expert ability to create original dielines with multiple custom finishing processes
- Supply artwork in various file formats according to vendor specifications and/or for web/digital distribution
Who you are:
- 2+ years as Production Artist within a design studio, creative agency, or publication
- Experience in packaging or with product design mechanicals is a plus!
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite
- Must have experience creating mechanical files for 4-color process and Pantone matching systems with the ability to spot-check/proof files both on-site and digitally
- Hands-on studio skills for comping designs, as well as an understanding of installation requirements for 3-D environmental or retail merchandising (material requirements, finishing details such as grommeting, indoor/outdoor needs, and functional considerations)
- Competitive salary + equity
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Fitness reimbursement
- Quarterly company outings
- Annual team trips
Away (awaytravel.com) is modernizing the travel experience, beginning with your luggage, while striving to set the example for how socially conscious companies should conduct themselves. In November 2015, we launched our brand in Vogue, GQ, and USA Today, and have been featured in over 80 publications including New York Magazine, Travel + Leisure, and Wallpaper*. Away was founded by two Warby Parker alums and has raised $11M in venture funding from investors including Global Founders Capital, Forerunner Ventures, and Accel Partners.