Away is seeking a paid intern to help with our Artist Monogramming series! This person will work alongside our resident hand-lettering artist Jen Mussari to hand paint monograms on bags. The right candidate will be technically skilled in painting, typography, or graphic design and will be eager to work at a quickly growing company.
Since April 2016, Away has offered hand-painted monograms to its customers. Demand has been growing for these art pieces, but our resident artist is a one-woman freelance business who needs a hand! She will teach you the basics of sign painting, working with sign painters enamel, and offer tips and tricks while on-site. You will learn three to five alphabet styles and be able to reproduce them using a system of stencils and transfers.
What you'll do:
- Hand-paint initials on The Carry-On per customer order (customer selects colors and style)
- Receive training from Jen Mussari on the ins-and-outs of each alphabet style
- Work with oil-based enamel paints on plastic surfaces
- Work in the SoHo Away office under friendly management, who provides materials and supplies
Who you are:
- Student at NYC-based college (or recent graduate) majoring in (or with significant experience in): Painting, Illustration, Graphic Design, Typography
- Experience working with enamel paints and/or working on a non-traditional medium is a plus
- Alright with working near and with solvents like mineral spirits and enamel paints
- Quick learner who is eager to learn and work within a system
- Friendly and patient
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced and energetic environment
- All internships are paid and applicants should expect to work about 10-15 hours per week.
Away (awaytravel.com) is modernizing the travel experience, beginning with your luggage, while striving to set the example for how socially conscious companies should conduct themselves. In November 2015, we launched our brand in Vogue, GQ, and USA Today, and have been featured in over 80 publications including New York Magazine, Travel + Leisure, and Wallpaper*. Away was founded by two Warby Parker alums and has raised $2.5M in venture funding led by Forerunner Ventures and Accel Partners.