Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel through products and content that inspire people to get away more. In support of our mission, we are seeking a Logistics Documentation/Compliance Specialist to join our Sourcing & Production Team and interface with our Legal Team.
Want to help us transform the travel experience? The ideal candidate will have hands-on experience and expertise in US and foreign country Customs documentation, the entry process, and Customs compliance, as well as a solid understanding of sourcing, product development, production, supplier relations, and transportation. You will work heavily with our Legal Team, while reporting to the Senior Director of Sourcing and Production in our China office.
As a company that values diversity, equity, and inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds and experiences to apply for this opportunity. We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, anti-racism training, and bias prevention initiatives, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their authentic selves to work.
What you’ll do:
Logistics documentation compliance
- Participate in onboarding and training new suppliers on filing accurate, complete and timely trade documentation, such as commercial invoices and reduced duty program documentation, especially Generalized System of Preferences (GSP) declarations.
- Work closely with and monitor suppliers to ensure the ongoing integrity of Customs valuation, classification, country of origin, tariff application, and labeling for both Customs compliance and duty drawback purposes.
- Field questions from suppliers, Customs brokers and various Away teams on bills of material, raw material sourcing, purchase orders, commercial invoices, packing lists, certificates of origin, reduced duty program documentation, and general trade compliance.
- Work with suppliers to monitor “First Sale” programs.
- Develop strong and collaborative partnerships with cross functional teams.
- Master data management
DURING SYSTEM GO-LIVE
- Act as a primary point of contact to the core project team in leading the Data Migration efforts and cutover activities related to Master Data
- Provide guidance to the business and the project team in resolving critical data issues
- Responsible for validating and verifying completeness and accuracy of Master Data in the new system
- Develop SOP’s and business process flows documenting the timing and handoffs across cross-functional business departments
- Develop Data Governance processes and policies
POST SYSTEM GO-LIVE
- Oversee end-to-end Master Data Management process, from initial set up to supervision of data integrity. Scope spans across all internal systems and cross functional divisions of business
- Assist in identifying data issues impacting the business processes
- Advise best practices for data management & integration based on business needs
- Responsible for data entry and collection business critical information from cross functional departments (MP&A, Accounting, Logistics, Trade Management, Ecom, Marketing etc.)
- Supervise dataflow and integration between internal systems (Airtable, D365 ERP)
- Ensure completeness and accuracy of required data prior to buy deadlines to expedite and facilitate timely PO process
- Responsible for maintaining product life cycle status in the new ERP system (draft, discontinue, active, NGF, etc.)
- Responsible for error resolution and data changes
- Act as a primary point of contact for all Master Data related issues and updates
- Respond to and take action on issues submitted by the business for any data entry and correction.
Who you are:
- Possess advanced knowledge of Customs compliance, valuation, product classification, rules of origin (ROOs), ROO concepts such as “double substantial transformation,” trade agreements, incoterms, and the Customs entry process in the United States, Canada and the UK.
- Have worked either in a Customs brokerage, an international trade law practice, or for an importer doing trade compliance work for at least 2 years (preferably 5+ years)
- 1-2 years of experience in data analysis, data management or systems maintenance preferred
- Strong written/oral communicator in both English and Mandarin.
- Excellent communicator with strong interpersonal skills.
- Conscientious, analytical & proactive problem solver with strong attention to detail.
- Adapt to fast-paced atmosphere, work well under pressure, and adhere to deadline
- Must demonstrate high level of initiative and resourcefulness, be a solution seeker and present ideas and suggestions
- Have a solid understanding of how sourcing, product development, production, transportation and accounting interface and coordinate with each other in a supply chain.
- Team player that can balance independent work with cross functional collaboration.
- Proficiency with Excel, Google suite, Customs ACE portal, and logistics/brokerage platforms
- Passionate about transforming travel (but that’s a given!)
- You can show proof of COVID-19 vaccination & adherence to HQ COVID office policies using a secure platform that verifies vaccination status without sharing private health information, within 30 days of hire
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, and dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with organic snacks and coffee.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, and more, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more…! You can bring your dog to work. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel through products and content that inspire people to get away more. The company launched in 2016 with one perfectly designed carry-on and has since expanded to offer an array of luggage and travel essentials built for the modern traveler. Headquartered in New York City, with teams in London and Toronto, Away currently ships products to over 35 countries around the world. Away has been named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies” and has been recognized on TIME’s list of “Best Inventions.” To learn more, visit awaytravel.com.
Away is dedicated to hiring a diverse workplace that celebrates an inclusive culture and a sense of belonging. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, veteran status, genetic information or disability.
Away is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.