Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel through products and content that inspire people to get away more. In support of our mission, we are seeking a Data Engineer II to join our Engineering team.
Want to help us transform the travel experience? The ideal candidate will be interested in building scalable data pipelines, ELT processes, supporting our ERP and POS implementation and other critical projects. You will report to the Senior Manager, Data Engineering and report into our New York City office with the option to work remotely.
As a company that values diversity, equity, and inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds and experiences to apply for this opportunity. We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, Anti-racism training and bias prevention initiatives, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their authentic selves to work.
What you'll do:
- Build, own and operate scalable data pipelines and related data warehouse for our e-commerce platform, ERP, 3PLs and our 3rd party services supporting our business requirements
- Collaborate with talented designers, product managers, and fellow engineers to build and plan reliable and robust systems
- Mentor other engineers in the team and guide them through code reviews and other process improvements
- Implement systems to catch bugs and monitor data quality, ensuring our production data is always accurate and available for key stakeholders and business processes that depend on it
- Push and refine our technology, data structures, and creative practices
Who you are:
- Minimum 5+ years of professional data engineering experience
- Minimum 4+ year experience building data pipelines using Python
- Minimum 4+ years experience with distributed data storage systems/formats & data stores such as Snowflake, Redshift or other Big data systems
- Minimum 2+ years experience in building data pipelines to stream messages with good exposure to handling failure scenarios
- Must have in-depth understanding of relational databases, including SQL
- Must have experience working with IPaasS such as Boomi, Mulesoft, etc.
- Must have experience working with Airflow DAGs
- Basic understanding of Linux/Unix commands required
- Experience working and processing large datasets, and techniques for working with data in volume effectively
- Experience working with batch processing/real-time systems
- Experience with ERPs or implementation, preferred
- Experience with Heroku is preferred
- Have worked with a major cloud provider such as AWS or Azure
- Exposure to Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) & Test Driven Development preferred
- Ability to work independently and come up with thoughts to improve processes
- Team player with a “no task is too small” attitude
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Passionate about transforming travel (but that’s a given!)
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you’re here for three years, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, and dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with organic snacks and coffee.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, and more, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more…! You can bring your dog to work. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel through products and content that inspire people to get away more. The company launched in 2016 with one perfectly designed carry-on and has since expanded to offer an array of luggage and travel essentials built for the modern traveler. Headquartered in New York City, with teams in London and Toronto, Away currently ships products to over 35 countries around the world. Away has been named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies” and has been recognized on TIME’s list of “Best Inventions.” To learn more, visit awaytravel.com.
Away is dedicated to hiring a diverse workplace that celebrates an inclusive culture and a sense of belonging. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, veteran status, genetic information or disability.
Away is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.