We are a global lifestyle brand built on transforming the travel experience. In support of our mission, we are seeking an Engineering Manager to join our team.
Our Engineering team develops digital experiences to transform ideas into products that form delightful human connections. We build and support the technologies that power the digital side of our business, from our customer facing website to order fulfillment.
Want to help us transform the travel industry? The ideal candidate will be a highly technical, thoughtful people manager who will work closely with Digital Product and UX to create and ship scalable product experiences. You will report to the Director, Application Engineering and be based in our Soho office. (We are on-boarding and working remotely until it is safe to return to office in 2021. Our office is currently open three days a week, Tuesday-Friday, for those who prefer an office space or for roles that require time physically onsite.)
As a company that values inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds and experiences to apply for the position. We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, Anti-racism training and bias prevention initiatives, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their authentic selves to work.
What you’ll do:
- Manage a remote team of software engineers
- Plan, strategize, execute, and own overall success of complex technical projects
- Collaborate with Product Management, UX, and Project Management teams to design and develop customer facing digital experiences, APIs, and backend systems
- Recruiting and career development of team members
- Be a technical leader and contributor to projects, including coding, code reviews, and architectural discussions
- Help iterate on our software development and agile processes
Who you are:
- Minimum 5 years of professional programming experience
- Minimum 2 year of technical leadership and people management experience
- Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages
- Experience with Azure, AWS, Heroku, or similar IaaS or PaaS providers
- Team player with a "no task is too small" attitude
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Passionate about transforming travel (but that’s a given!)
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
- You can show proof of COVID-19 vaccination & adherence to HQ COVID office policies
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you’re here for three years, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, and dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with organic snacks and coffee.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, and more, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more…! You can bring your dog to work. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel through products and content that inspire people to get away more. The company launched in 2016 with one perfectly designed carry-on and has since expanded to offer an array of luggage and travel essentials built for the modern traveler. Headquartered in New York City, with teams in London and Toronto, Away currently ships products to over 35 countries around the world. Away has been named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies” and has been recognized on TIME’s list of “Best Inventions.” To learn more, visit awaytravel.com.
Away is dedicated to hiring a diverse workplace that celebrates an inclusive culture and a sense of belonging. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, veteran status, genetic information or disability.
Away is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.