Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel through products and content that inspire people to get away more. In support of our mission, we are seeking a Director, Transportation as a key leader on our Global Logistics & Fulfillment team.
In this role, you’ll bring thought leadership, experience, and creativity to how we move our products around the world. You will create and execute strategies that improve the flow of Away’s products inbound from manufacture to our global warehouse network, parcel to our customers and last mile to our retail stores. Want to help us transform the travel experience? The ideal candidate will have had experience in international and domestic transportation network creation and management. You will report to the Vice President, Global Logistics & Fulfillment based in our New York City office with a hybrid remote-work model.
As a company that values diversity, equity, and inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds and experiences to apply for this opportunity. We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, anti-racism training, and bias prevention initiatives, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their authentic selves to work.
What you’ll do:
- Thought leader and mentor for the transportation team, driving growth, development and contributes to the department’s long-term success
- Create and continuously iterate on transportation strategies to improve the flow of product to Away’s Distribution Centers, customers and retail stores
- Implement transportation strategies in collaboration with supply chain partners, ensuring all programs meet rigorous standards for customer experience, financial performance and operational efficiency
- Find the right balance between supplying our rapid sales growth and protecting the bottom line
- Strategic Partner evaluation, procurement & management of Away’s transportation partners that scale with business growth
- Negotiate rates and evaluate providers to ensure cost-effective decisions are being made pertaining to the transportation of Away’s product
- Create, monitor and maintain KPI reporting to monitor cost and service levels and identify areas of continuous improvement
- Work with key internal and external partners to ensure we achieve the optimal balance of speed, cost, quality, service, and sustainability - all while ensuring an amazing experience for our customers.
Who you are:
- 10 years professional experience in logistics, supply chain or transportation roles
- An exceptional written/oral communicator with demonstrated experience in partner management and cost management
- Excellent project management and organizational skills
- Critical thinking and analytical skills
- Experience with ERP like Microsoft Dynamics and TMS tools is a plus, but not required
- Proven leadership and people management skills and a passion for developing talent
- Team player with a "no task is too small" attitude
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Passionate about transforming travel (but that’s a given!)
- You can show proof of COVID-19 vaccination & adherence to HQ COVID office policies using Bindle, a secure platform that verifies vaccination status without sharing private health information, within 30 days of hire.
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you’re here for three years, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, and dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with organic snacks and coffee.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, and more, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more…! You can bring your dog to work. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel through products and content that inspire people to get away more. The company launched in 2016 with one perfectly designed carry-on and has since expanded to offer an array of luggage and travel essentials built for the modern traveler. Headquartered in New York City, with teams in London and Toronto, Away currently ships products to over 35 countries around the world. Away has been named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies” and has been recognized on TIME’s list of “Best Inventions.” To learn more, visit awaytravel.com.
Away is dedicated to hiring a diverse workplace that celebrates an inclusive culture and a sense of belonging. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, veteran status, genetic information or disability.
Away is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.