Away is looking for an experienced Senior Accountant to join the team at HQ. This position will be instrumental in our monthly close procedures and in helping design and implement processes that align with the rapid growth of the company. The role will specialize in inventory cost accounting, bridging the gap between the operations and inventory management teams and the accounting team, and will manage the financial control over inventory, including maintaining and analyzing standard costs, reviewing inventory adjustments, and analyzing inventory valuation. The ideal candidate has 3-4 years of accounting and inventory experience and is interested in learning about scaling a fast-paced consumer brand. This position, remote for now, will be based out of our headquarters in SoHo, and reports to our Inventory Accounting Manager.
What you’ll do:
- Perform monthly close activities related to inventory, including reconciliation of GL to subledgers across all locations and entities
- Maintain standard costs of inventory for all SKUs, including the standard purchase price of all purchased SKUs (raw and finished) and the bill of materials for all manufactured SKUs, including those manufactured outside of the system
- Perform quarterly analysis of standard cost vs. actual purchase price and standard BOM cost vs. actual manufactured cost, and provide explanations for significant variances, as well as propose and execute updates to standard costing
- Work with product development and purchasing department on developing standard cost of all new purchased SKUs and developing standard BOM for all manufactured SKUs
- Develop and maintain standard transfer pricing for SKUs which are sent internationally, to ensure proper valuation (cost plus freight, insurance, etc.) and to ensure our customs declarations reflect an accurate valuation
- Manage accounting for all landed costs (freight, duties) including allocating through standards and analyzing/allocating actuals
- Ensure operations team maintains control over inventory quantities at all locations, including working with operations and warehouse teams to develop processes and controls for internal and external locations
- Develop and execute a review policy for inventory adjustments
- Manage the reconciliation of inventory in transit and accruals for goods received but not invoiced
- Analyze inventory aging reports and review potentially excess and obsolete inventory, and maintain proper inventory reserves. Oversee the financial control over disposal and write-off of inventory
- Support the implementation of an ERP system
- Assist with audit requests, such as preparing supporting documentation and schedules
- Maintain process documentation and look for opportunities to automate and improve daily account processes
- Build and present ad-hoc reports to support monthly analyses as needed
- Provide support to Senior Management with audits, special inquiries, projects and ad-hoc analysis.
Who you are:
- BS/BA in Accounting or a related field, CPA preferred
- 3-4 years of accounting experience, preferably with a mix of public and private experience (bonus points for experience at a high-paced startup and international accounting experience)
- Retail and/or Consumer product industry experience is required
- Must have understanding of internal controls over inventory, including physical counts, cycle counts, inventory adjustment reviews, etc.
- Experience in cost accounting and/or ops finance, including understanding COG structure, building and maintaining BOM and standard costs, allocating and tracking landed costs like freight and duties, analyzing PPVs and booking inventory and COG adjustments
- Exposure to effective inventory management systems (ERP, excel models, etc.) which enabled proper inventory control
- Ability and desire to deep-dive into details with minimal information provided
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with management, direct co-workers, as well as other departments
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented with strong organizational and time management skills
- Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability in a change-oriented environment
- Enthusiastic and eager to learn and problem solve, including taking initiative to propose solutions
- Advanced Excel skills
- Experience with Netsuite and Looker a plus
- You can show proof of COVID-19 vaccination & adherence to HQ COVID office policies using Bindle, a secure platform that verifies vaccination status without sharing private health information, within 30 days of hire
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you’re here for three years, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, and dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with organic snacks and coffee.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, and more, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more…! You can bring your dog to work. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel through products and content that inspire people to get away more. The company launched in 2016 with one perfectly designed carry-on and has since expanded to offer an array of luggage and travel essentials built for the modern traveler. Headquartered in New York City, with teams in London and Toronto, Away currently ships products to over 35 countries around the world. Away has been named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies” and has been recognized on TIME’s list of “Best Inventions.” To learn more, visit awaytravel.com.
Away is dedicated to hiring a diverse workplace that celebrates an inclusive culture and a sense of belonging. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, veteran status, genetic information or disability.
Away is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.