Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel through products and content that inspire people to get away more. In support of our mission, we are seeking a Senior Accountant to join our Accounting team.
Want to help us transform the travel experience? The ideal candidate has an understanding of technical accounting topics such as ASC 718 & 842, has experience reconciling balance sheet accounts and performing roll forwards, and is comfortable analyzing Excel files with a large volume of data and transactions. You will report to our Senior Accounting Manager and be based in our New York City office.
As a company that values diversity, equity, and inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds and experiences to apply for this opportunity. We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, anti-racism training and bias prevention initiatives, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their authentic selves to work.
What you’ll do:
- Assist with preparation of monthly reporting package, and prepare workpapers for the monthly/quarterly/annual close cycles
- Support period-end closings by ensuring the accurate and timely completion of closing-related responsibilities, including preparation of journal entries, account reconciliations and variance analyses for owned accounts
- Assist in improving, developing and documenting accounting policies, procedures and internal controls
- Support information flow between the accounting team, external auditors and other internal and external partners.
- Work cross functionally with Finance, Legal, AP, Payroll, FP&A, Tax and various business owners on policies, processes, and help drive key initiatives and improvements
- Provide support for audit request, system enhancements, and ad-hoc reporting requests
Who you are:
- 3 years of relevant accounting experience; experience with revenue accounting and related balance sheet reconciliations preferred
- Advanced Excel skills, including the ability to perform functions like V-lookup and Pivot Table, as well as write more complex formulas
- Analytical thinker, who understands the order-to-cash cycle and is able to question and improve the existing processes and workpapers
- Understands US GAAP and SOX 404
- Takes initiative to identify problems and propose solutions
- Team player with a "no task is too small" attitude
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Passionate about transforming travel (but that’s a given!)
- You can show proof of COVID-19 vaccination & adherence to HQ COVID office policies using Bindle, a secure platform that verifies vaccination status without sharing private health information, within 30 days of hire
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you’re here for three years, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, and dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with organic snacks and coffee.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, and more, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more…! You can bring your dog to work. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel through products and content that inspire people to get away more. The company launched in 2016 with one perfectly designed carry-on and has since expanded to offer an array of luggage and travel essentials built for the modern traveler. Headquartered in New York City, with teams in London and Toronto, Away currently ships products to over 35 countries around the world. Away has been named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies” and has been recognized on TIME’s list of “Best Inventions.” To learn more, visit awaytravel.com.
Away is dedicated to hiring a diverse workplace that celebrates an inclusive culture and a sense of belonging. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, veteran status, genetic information or disability.
Away is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.