Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel through products and content that inspire people to get away more. In support of our mission, we are seeking a Product Development Director of Luggage to join our Product Development team. Away is seeking a highly organized Sr Product Development Manager to lead our luggage product development.
Want to help us transform the travel experience? This role drives and manages the development of luggage. This role will take initial design concept through to production handover ultimately ensuring the development of luggage remains on time and up to brand standards. This role is a critical partner to Design, Merchandise, and several other Supply Chain and internal teams.
The ideal candidate will have had extensive experience in product development working directly with manufacturers ideally in luggage or hard-goods.
As a company that values diversity, equity, and inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds and experiences to apply for this opportunity. We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, anti-racism training, and bias prevention initiatives, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their authentic selves to work.
More importantly, you will build relationships throughout the organization and represent the company and brand in line with our culture. You will act as an extension of the wider Product Development team. You maximize productivity for the team, enabling them to do their best work.
This role will report to the Sr Director of Product Development and is based at our HQ in SoHo, NYC.
What you’ll do:
- Manage end-to-end luggage product development, from timeline adherence, material sourcing, costing through to production handover.
- Be the voice of luggage Product Development cross functionally communicating product status, costing and suggesting process improvement where possible. Manage one direct report supporting luggage development
- Work with design to bring their vision to life, balancing cost and commercial requirements.
- Build and maintain material and component library for luggage in line with design needs and category vision.
- Work hand in hand with QC, Production, Sourcing, Packaging and other necessary teams ensuring product cycle deadlines are met and product standards are upheld.
- Manage factory allocation according to sourcing strategy.
- Source new suppliers based on category growth and needs.
- Facilitate day-to-day communications with existing suppliers and manufacturers focusing on in building strong and trusted relationships with overseas partners
- Partner with production on style handover ensuring specs and detailed product details are correct, problem solving any pre-production issues.
- Maintain various Product Development tools including accurate records of styles and costing.
Who you are:
- Have 5 years of full-time experience as a product developer preferably in luggage or hard goods.
- Strong understanding of construction of product, preferably in bags or soft goods.
- Product centric person with a strong sense of curiosity and problem solving.
- Experience working with global manufacturers and suppliers.
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment and communicate cross functionally with all levels of the organization.
- Have Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop skills
- Demonstrates ability to juggle and prioritize multiple tasks and projects simultaneously and successfully
- Possesses strong project management skills: one who thinks ahead and anticipates needs—you’re never satisfied with the status quo, always thinking “how can we do this better?”
- Hard working with a "no task is too small" attitude
- Operates as a “partner” / in it together and naturally builds relationships with internal teams and external manufacturing partners
- Comfortable working independently, but also knows when to ask for help
- Adhere to confidentiality and sensitive information protocols
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced and energetic environment
- A passionate ambassador of the brand
- You love to travel (but that’s a given)
- Team player with a "no task is too small" attitude
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Passionate about transforming travel (but that’s a given!)
- You can show proof of COVID-19 vaccination & adherence to HQ COVID office policies using Bindle, a secure platform that verifies vaccination status without sharing private health information, within 30 days of hire
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you’re here for three years, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, and dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with organic snacks and coffee.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, and more, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more…! You can bring your dog to work. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel through products and content that inspire people to get away more. The company launched in 2016 with one perfectly designed carry-on and has since expanded to offer an array of luggage and travel essentials built for the modern traveler. Headquartered in New York City, with teams in London and Toronto, Away currently ships products to over 35 countries around the world. Away has been named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies” and has been recognized on TIME’s list of “Best Inventions.” To learn more, visit awaytravel.com.
Away is dedicated to hiring a diverse workplace that celebrates an inclusive culture and a sense of belonging. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, veteran status, genetic information or disability.
Away is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.