Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel through products and content that inspire people to get away more. In support of our mission, we are seeking a Senior Manager of Data Engineering to join our Data Engineering team.
Want to help us transform the travel experience? The ideal candidate will have had experience in building different types of data integrations, managing a team of 3 - 6 data engineers, gathering information from business stakeholders and converting it into technical requirements. You will report to the Director of Data Engineering based in our New York City office.
As a company that values diversity, equity, and inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds and experiences to apply for this opportunity. We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, anti-racism training, and bias prevention initiatives, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their authentic selves to work.
What you'll do:
- Lead data engineering team, providing mentorship, coaching, and regular feedback.
- Identify and provide team members with growth opportunities that align with their career goals.
- Ensuring on time delivery of projects and other team’s commitments.
- Initiate, influence, and drive different types of data initiatives by working with cross-functional teams throughout the organization.
- Partner with stakeholders to help develop and continuously refine the long and short-term roadmap
- Influence design documentation, participate in code reviews and provide valuable and actionable feedback to peers
- Make substantial code contributions to different components of data pipelines and integrations
Who you are:
- Minimum 3 years of managing data engineering team
- Experience in mentoring, coaching team members
- Experience in communicating with business stakeholders
- Minimum 5 years of professional software development experience
- Minimum 4 years experience building data pipelines using Python
- Minimum 4 years experience with distributed data storage systems/formats & data stores such as Snowflake, Redshift or other Big data systems
- Minimum 2 years experience in building Kafka based pipelines to stream messages with good exposure to handling failure scenarios
- In-depth understanding of relational databases, including SQL
- Experience working and processing large datasets, and techniques for working with data in volume effectively
- Experience working with batch processing/real-time systems using various open source technologies like Spark, MapReduce, NoSQL, Hive, etc.
- SQL knowledge is required
- Linux/Unix experience preferred
- Experience with Java or Scala is a nice to have
- Experience with Airflow is nice to have
- Have worked with a major cloud provider such as AWS or Azure
- Exposure to Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment & Test Driven Development preferred
- Team player with a “no task is too small” attitude
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Passionate about transforming travel (but that’s a given!)
- You can show proof of COVID-19 vaccination & adherence to HQ COVID office policies using Bindle, a secure platform that verifies vaccination status without sharing private health information, within 30 days of hire
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you’re here for three years, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, and dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with organic snacks and coffee.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, and more, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more…! You can bring your dog to work. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel through products and content that inspire people to get away more. The company launched in 2016 with one perfectly designed carry-on and has since expanded to offer an array of luggage and travel essentials built for the modern traveler. Headquartered in New York City, with teams in London and Toronto, Away currently ships products to over 35 countries around the world. Away has been named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies” and has been recognized on TIME’s list of “Best Inventions.” To learn more, visit awaytravel.com.
Away is dedicated to hiring a diverse workplace that celebrates an inclusive culture and a sense of belonging. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, veteran status, genetic information or disability.
Away is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.