Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel through products and content that inspire people to get away more. In support of our growth we are seeking a Director, Technical Accounting and Financial Reporting to join our Finance & Strategy team.
Want to help us transform the travel experience? The ideal candidate is a CPA who loves GAAP and researching ASC and IFRS Topics, and knows how to build financial reports and write footnote disclosures. You will report to the VP Finance and be based in our New York City office.
As a company that values diversity, equity, and inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds and experiences to apply for this opportunity. We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, Anti-racism training and bias prevention initiatives, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their authentic selves to work.
What you’ll do:
- Prepare consolidated and individual entity monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reporting packages that include the Balance Sheet, Income Statement, Statement of Cash Flows, and Statement of Stockholders’ Equity, along with relevant disclosures when required
- Design and implement a monthly reporting package that complies with creditor requirements, including calculating our Borrowing Base in the format required by the creditor and providing reports as required by debt covenants
- Analyze Away’s current and future financial position and highlight risks to debt covenant requirements
- Research new and existing accounting standards and leverage the standards to develop and write internal accounting policy memos and financial disclosures, partnering with Away’s audit firm and external technical consultants as needed
- Provide guidance to Away’s leadership team on business considerations related to the adoption of new accounting standards
- Provide ongoing training and coaching to the Accounting team to ensure accounting operations support the financial statement and debt covenant reporting process and comply with accounting policies
- Implement and maintain internal controls and financial reporting technology to ensure accuracy and timeliness of financial reporting
Who You Are:
- Minimum 7+ years of progressive accounting or financial reporting experience, with at least 2 years of public company experience
- Technical expertise in US GAAP and IFRS; CPA required
- External/statutory reporting expertise, including understanding of or experience with public company reporting requirements
- Experience with ABLs and calculating a Borrowing Base preferred
- Experience with financial reporting technology preferred
- Experience working in retail or manufacturing businesses
- Extreme attention to detail
- Team player with a "no task is too small" attitude
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Passionate about transforming travel (but that’s a given!)
- You can show proof of COVID-19 vaccination & adherence to HQ COVID office policies using Bindle, a secure platform that verifies vaccination status without sharing private health information, within 30 days of hire
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you’re here for three years, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, and dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with organic snacks and coffee.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, and more, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more…! You can bring your dog to work. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel through products and content that inspire people to get away more. The company launched in 2016 with one perfectly designed carry-on and has since expanded to offer an array of luggage and travel essentials built for the modern traveler. Headquartered in New York City, with teams in London and Toronto, Away currently ships products to over 35 countries around the world. Away has been named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies” and has been recognized on TIME’s list of “Best Inventions.” To learn more, visit awaytravel.com.
Away is dedicated to hiring a diverse workplace that celebrates an inclusive culture and a sense of belonging. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, veteran status, genetic information or disability.
Away is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.