Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel through products and content that inspire people to get away more. In support of our mission, we are seeking a Tax Senior Accountant to join our Accounting team.
Want to help us transform the travel experience? The ideal candidate will have had experience in domestic and foreign indirect tax filings, federal/state and foreign corporate income tax filings and tax compliance and operating tax oversight. You will report to the Tax Senior Manager based in our New York City office.
As a company that values diversity, equity, and inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds and experiences to apply for this opportunity. We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, anti-racism training, and bias prevention initiatives, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their authentic selves to work.
What you’ll do:
- Facilitate and oversee state, local and foreign indirect tax returns prepared and filed by 3rd party providers
- Prepare and file required annual property tax returns and gross receipts returns
- Research various indirect tax matters including nexus, state filing requirements and tax law changes
- Respond to tax notices and assist with tax audits
- Monitor and maintain Avalara third party software used for the indirect tax filings
- Maintain and oversee tax balances on general ledger and perform reconciliation on tax related accounts to ensure accurate balances
- Coordinate and assist with the preparation of federal, state, local and foreign corporate income tax filings
- Assist with ad hoc tax projects as assigned including but not limited to payroll tax matters, unclaimed property, tax process improvement and automation
- Assist with streamlining initiatives to improve compliance with all international filings
Who you are:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and/or Master’s Degree in Tax or equivalent experience plus a minimum of 2+ years of relevant experience required
- Must be extremely organized and detail oriented with the ability to manage workflow, multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Must be Proficient in MS Word, Excel, NetSuite, and Avalara tax software
- Ability to work independently to achieve results
- Proficient research, analytical and reconciliation skills
- Demonstrate high levels of initiative, good judgment, and communication skills
- Team player with a "no task is too small" attitude
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Passionate about transforming travel (but that’s a given!)
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you’re here for three years, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, and dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with organic snacks and coffee.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, and more, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more…! You can bring your dog to work. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel through products and content that inspire people to get away more. The company launched in 2016 with one perfectly designed carry-on and has since expanded to offer an array of luggage and travel essentials built for the modern traveler. Headquartered in New York City, with teams in London and Toronto, Away currently ships products to over 35 countries around the world. Away has been named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies” and has been recognized on TIME’s list of “Best Inventions.” To learn more, visit awaytravel.com.
Away is dedicated to hiring a diverse workplace that celebrates an inclusive culture and a sense of belonging. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, veteran status, genetic information or disability.
Away is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.