We are a global lifestyle brand built on transforming the travel experience. In support of our mission, we are seeking a Head of Merchandise to join our Product team.
As a company that values diversity, equity, and inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds and experiences to apply for this position. We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups and mandatory bias training, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
Want to help us transform the travel industry? We're looking for a Head of Merch to lead assortment and product strategy, pricing and gross margin strategy for our growing line of travel goods. We started in early 2016 with the perfect Carry-On, developed our Checked Bags, and now we are expanding into the perfect version of everything you need to travel seamlessly. The right person for this role is highly data-driven and analytical, has a unique vision around product strategy and excels at planning and timeline management. This role will work very closely with Product Development, Customer Insights, Supply Chain, Brand Marketing & Comms and other cross functional teams. You will report into the Executive Director and be based in our Soho headquarters.
What you’ll do:
- Work across the business to bring products to market that meet our customers’ needs while being true to our brand vision
- Partner with Strategy, Customer Insights, Data, and Customer Experience teams to intelligently plan key product categories
- Work closely with Product Development and Product Design teams to turn product plans into reality
- Interpret market trends and consumer needs and translate them to an actionable product direction, taking into consideration geography-based consumer preferences and specific channel needs
- Implement comprehensive costing and pricing framework, gross margin strategy, competitive analysis, and sales analysis to provide a robust, data-driven product mix to meet company goals
- Integrate customer feedback and insights into actionable recommendations for future product iterations
- Develop product launch strategies with marketing teams that integrate wider company priorities, campaigns, and initiatives
- Provide launch merchandising guidance and guidelines across channels and markets, including our own retail stores and international markets
- Drive company-wide product education initiatives to ensure members of all teams are well-versed in our present and future product offerings
- Build and manage a team and processes to support the execution of these initiatives
Who you are:
- 10+ years of experience in Merch and Merch Strategy with background that spans both merch assortment creativity as well as deep analytical and financial analysis
- You deeply understand brand and creative, but support your decisions with financial and quantitative analysis
- Your communication skills are unrivaled, and you know how to make people listen and understand
- You are curious and resourceful with a natural ability to solve problems and seek new information
- You’re extremely organized and adept at creating (and sticking to!) timelines and budgets
- Team player with a "no task is too small" attitude
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Passionate about transforming travel (but that’s a given!)
- Bachelor's degree, similar field of study, or equivalent practical experience
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take the time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have four weeks of PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you’re here for three years, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. We offer 401(k) match, insurance coverage (health, vision, and dental), tax savings plans for retirement, generous and inclusive parental leave, dependent care, commuter benefits, reimbursements to incentivize you to work out, and a kitchen stocked with snacks and coffee.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups and inclusion training, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more…! You can bring your dog to work and we also organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Launched in 2016 by co-founders Steph Korey and Jen Rubio, Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel. By selling directly to customers both online and through retail stores, Away is able to eliminate retailer mark up and offer high quality, thoughtfully designed luggage and travel essentials without driving up the price. In just under four years, Away has already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” and one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies”. To learn more, visit awaytravel.com.
Away is dedicated to hiring a diverse workplace that celebrates an inclusive culture and a sense of belonging. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, veteran status, genetic information or disability.
Away is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.