We are looking for a VP of Real Estate who will lead strategy and execution of retail real estate as we expand our global store footprint from the 8 stores we have today to several dozen over the next few years. The right person for this role is excited to build relationships and scour properties around the world to ensure that Away has access to the best locations as we continue to grow out our brick-and-mortar presence. You deeply understand being both data-driven as well as brand-driven, using our numbers to guide us to the right area and your feeling for brand, adjacencies, and space to identify the right locations. This fast-paced role will collaborate with our Finance, Retail Experience, and Legal teams and work to achieve our strategic expansion goals, defining what the markets we’re looking at and why.
This role is based in our Soho, New York Headquarters.
Some of what you’ll do:
- Develop and lead implementation of the company's global real estate strategy to support its retail and corporate expansion
- Anticipate and identify real estate opportunities to support corporate initiatives
- Identify, communicate, and advise on opportunities and risks in the site selection process
- Lead internal process to understand and select sites, soliciting and integrating feedback from relevant teams
- Lead lease negotiation, in partnership with the Legal team
- Manage and collaborate with outside real estate brokers, consultants, and other third parties as necessary
- Establish and maintain relationships with senior leadership, including landlords and other key stakeholders at all sites
- Work closely with our Financial Planning & Analysis team to assess and articulate the financial viability and risks of new opportunities
- Lead the development of systems and processes to set our retail team up for success on all new store openings
- Achieve high performance and store profitability
Who you are:
- You have at least 15 years of global retail real estate experience overseeing site evaluation and selection, making deals, managing a store portfolio, and facilitating approvals
- You have a strong industry network of contacts, including brokers and developers, in all corners of retail around the world
- You have proven negotiation skills in getting the best possible deal in every situation, drawing from your experience in managing relationships with external stakeholders
- You are data-driven and goal-oriented — you measure success both quantitatively and qualitatively and understand the importance of both
- You partner effectively with others in order to provide solutions in all areas of the department and overall business, and you’re able to multi-task and manage multiple projects at once.
- Your communication skills are unrivaled, and you know how to mobilize and lead cross-functional teams to ensure new stores open on time and on budget
- You love to travel (but that's a given)
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have flexible PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you’re here for three years, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, and dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, monthly reimbursements to incentivize you to work out, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with organic snacks and coffee.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, and more, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more. You can bring your dog to work. We’ll give you money every month to grab coffee with coworkers. We have weekly team breakfasts and regular happy hours. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a global lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to enhance your travel experience. We’re building a company with a mission to make travel more seamless—starting with luggage. We started in 2016 with one foundational piece: The Carry-On. Today, we’re working to build the #1 travel brand in the world.
To date we’ve sold more than 500,000 suitcases, opened several retail locations, expanded internationally to meet our customers where they are, launched an in-house media division, and grown to a team of more than 150 people. We know that’s just the beginning.
Fast Company named us one of their “2018 Top 10 Most Innovative Companies,” we were selected as one of TIME's 50 Genius Companies of 2018, included on LinkedIn's "Top Startups of 2018" list, and called a “Breakthrough Brand with Ingenious Marketing” by Adweek.