We are a global lifestyle brand built on transforming the travel experience. In support of our mission, we are seeking a strategic, creative, and nimble Chief People Officer to own and drive the function that is the biggest drivers of our success—our people. We believe our success comes from giving employees ownership of their domains, creating opportunities to work with passionate colleagues, and ensuring all of our employees have opportunities to develop as leaders. This role will lead all People & Culture functions including: People Operations, Culture & Engagement, DE&I, Learning & Development, Recruiting and Facilities. This role reports to the Co-CEO and will be based in our Soho office.
As a company that values diversity, equity, and inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds and experiences to apply for this position. We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups and mandatory bias training, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
What You’ll Do:
- Organizational Design You’ll develop scalable systems to advise leaders across the company on organizational design, competency models, leadership development, performance measurement, succession planning, and change management
- Culture and Engagement You’ll define, educate, and drive our culture, which values difference over sameness and rewards high performance throughout the organization through the creation and implementation of systems that are grounded in inclusion and equity
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion We deeply believe that diverse teams are more successful teams, and you’ll create and implement the organizational systems that allow Away to reach it’s full potential through leadership in DE&I
- Learning Development We are a culture of constant learning, growing, and development, and you’ll lead the creation of L&D programs that prepare employees across the company to grow their responsibilities alongside the company’s growth
- Recruiting Our people are our most important asset, and we’re focused on attracting the best talent in the world so that each new hire elevates our talent bar; you’ll lead the development of systems for the end-to-end recruiting process optimizing team structure, candidate evaluation, candidate experience, and new hire success rates
- Total Rewards We believe in offering competitive, performance-driven compensation, and you’ll own the development and management of our compensation systems. As we evolve from a young start up to a larger global organization, our market analysis, pay structures, and benefits programs will evolve as well to constantly improve
Who You Are:
- A track record of strategic HR leadership success; your 12+ years of experience spans both private and public companies, growth organizations, and companies with global workforces
- Expertise in organizational design, performance management, leadership development, and succession planning
- Experience with retail employees preferred
- Constantly question the status quo and believe there is always a way we can continuously improve
- Able to execute on today’s challenges while maintaining a forward-thinking mindset around where we’ll be six months, a year, and several years from now
- Data driven and goal oriented, you measure success both quantitatively and qualitatively, and understand the importance of both
- Ability to work well under pressure and with multiple competing priorities
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Passionate about transforming travel (but that’s a given!)
- Bachelors degree, similar field of study, or equivalent practical experience
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take the time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have four weeks of PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you’re here for three years, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. We offer 401(k) match, insurance coverage (health, vision, and dental), tax savings plans for retirement, generous and inclusive parental leave, dependent care, commuter benefits, and reimbursements to incentivize you to work out.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more…! You can bring your dog to work and we also organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Launched in 2016 by co-founders Steph Korey and Jen Rubio, Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel. By selling directly to customers both online and through retail stores, Away is able to eliminate retailer mark up and offer high quality, thoughtfully designed luggage and travel essentials without driving up the price. In just under four years, Away has already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” and one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies”. Away is headquartered in New York City, with offices in London and Sydney. To learn more, visit awaytravel.com.
Away is dedicated to hiring a diverse workplace that celebrates an inclusive culture and a sense of belonging. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, veteran status, genetic information or disability.
Away is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.