We are a global lifestyle brand built on transforming the travel experience. In support of our mission, we are seeking a boundary-pushing, inspiring, and strategy-led Executive Creative Director to join our Creative team. This role will directly oversee all creative output across the brand—pushing the brand from a direct to consumer startup to a globally recognized creative and brand powerhouse.
As a company that values diversity, equity, and inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds and experiences to apply for this position. We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups and mandatory bias training, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
Want to help us transform the travel industry? The ideal candidate has a strong creative/advertising background, with experience in an in-house/brand side creative role. The candidate should be self-motivated, inspirational, and maintain high personal standards with an exceptional understanding of the cultural and creative landscape. This role will be based in our Soho headquarters.
What you’ll do:
- Strategically push the creative integrity of all campaigns and deliverables to cement Away as a global brand leader, while meeting the business objectives
- Leverage cultural and consumer insights to ensure all creative work is strategy-led and positions Away as a thought leader
- Evolve, own, and iterate on the brand visual identity and voice for multi-channel campaigns that touch all areas of the customer experience—including social, retail, web, experiential, and more
- Lead a growing team of creative directors, art directors, copywriters, and designers to create first-in-class marketing and advertising for the Away brand
- Partner with your creative team leads (production, creative studio, creative services, creative resourcing) to identify the right frameworks needed to ensure the team has the time, tools, and process to facilitate impactful work
- Partner closely with Brand Marketing, Growth, Product, and other key stakeholders throughout the business to ensure creative output is highly effective while maintaining brand standards and innovation
- In collaboration with Talent Acquisition, attract and recruit a team of top-tier creative talent across art direction, copy, and graphic design—continuously monitoring bandwidth and expertise needs
- Operate at a highly visible and strategic level while managing a growing team of creatives—ensuring a high standard of execution while never missing an opportunity to mentor and motivate
Who you are:
- 15+ years experience in brand creative direction—both agency and in-house experience required
- You have a compelling portfolio of distinctive work that elevates a brand’s creative experience
- A creative visionary—people are inspired by and excited to work with you
- You operate at an executive level with the ability to both mentor and manage
- Extensive knowledge of channel best practices—you never push creative work forward at the expense of business goals
- Experience in and comfortable working cross-functionally—especially with Brand and Growth teams
- Strong organizational skills, keen eye for detail, and ability to manage multiple projects at once
- Exceptional presentation skills with the ability to clearly and articulately explain your rationale and evoke excitement with your recommendations
- Experience leading photo and video production
- Expert in the Adobe Suite, G-Suite, Keynote, and any other relevant tools needed
- Team player with a "no task is too small" attitude
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Passionate about transforming travel (but that’s a given!)
- Bachelors degree or equivalent practical experience
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have four weeks of PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you’re here for three years, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. We offer 401(k) match, insurance coverage (health, vision, and dental), tax savings plans for retirement, generous and inclusive parental leave, dependent care, commuter benefits, reimbursements to incentivize you to work out, and a kitchen stocked with snacks and coffee.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups and inclusion training, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more…! You can bring your dog to work and we also organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Launched in 2016 by co-founders Steph Korey and Jen Rubio, Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel. By selling directly to customers both online and through retail stores, Away is able to eliminate retailer mark up and offer high quality, thoughtfully designed luggage and travel essentials without driving up the price. In just under four years, Away has already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” and one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies”. To learn more, visit awaytravel.com.
Away is dedicated to hiring a diverse workplace that celebrates an inclusive culture and a sense of belonging. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, veteran status, genetic information or disability.
Away is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.