We are a global lifestyle brand built on transforming the travel experience. In support of our mission, we are seeking a Director, Communications to join our Communications team.
Our Communications team builds and maintains positive awareness and safeguard the reputation of our brand, products, and leaders. Our team secures high-quality editorial coverage in international digital, print, broadcast, and podcast media outlets, as well as elevated and editorially impactful speaking engagements, award nominations, and product placement opportunities.
Want to help us transform the travel industry? The ideal candidate will lead the strategic development and execution of Away’s international communications programs across all global regions outside of North America. They also should have experience in conceptualizing and owning company-wide or major division-wide communications for well known brands; managing agencies across multiple geographies and fostering impactful earned media relationships that drove significant media results. You will report into our NY-based VP, Communications + Corporate Affairs and this position will be based in our London office. This role requires international travel.
As a company that values inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds and experiences to apply for this position.
What You'll Do:
- Strategy + Vision + Collaboration: Working in tandem with the VP Communications + Corporate Affairs, serve as the International PR team lead and create market-specific communications programs, while overseeing their execution and day-to-day progress. You’ll support cross-functional efforts, by representing the PR team in various meetings, partnering closely with teams across the company to manage cross-functional workflows.
- Agency Management + Media Relations: Lead the development and implementation of localized international PR plans to drive brand, corporate, and product awareness in partnership with the internal PR team as well as external PR agencies. You bring an existing network of journalist contacts from top outlets around the world, support PR and hold accountable our agency partners, and mentor members of the team as you work together to build relationships with key media in multiple markets.
- Trend Watching + Story Development: Stay in touch with international trends and identify press opportunities while acting as an advisor to the broader PR team on what key moments we should be capitalizing on. Possess the ability to identify what trends will resonate in different markets and to build strong narratives and concepts that will drive earned media.
- Writing: Develop compelling written content by contributing to Q&As, statements, talking points, briefings, award nominations, and media pitches.
- Executive Support: Create and conduct media briefings and market-specific tours for key company spokespeople, facilitate and staff interviews, and share read-outs and notes following for the team’s visibility.
- Event Management: Oversee execution of PR-related events, approve concept and deliverables (in coordination with the Creative and Brand Marketing teams where applicable), as well as vendors, target attendees, product assortment, messaging, and budget.
- Social Impact: Work with the Social Impact members of the team to help localize corporate-wide social impact initiatives to specific markets, as well as identify and facilitate relationships with worthy organizations Away can partner with in the future.
Who You Are:
- Bachelors degree, similar field of study, or equivalent practical experience
- 8+ years of directly relevant experience, with a preference for both agency and in-house experience on a public relations / communications team
- Experience leading the communications for a company, or the International communications function for a company
- Creative. You’re able to conceptualize newsworthy moments, develop story ideas even when the hook isn’t obvious to most, and follow through with pitches that land great media
- Skilled writer and editor, comfortable developing content for a variety of purposes (Q&As, statements, talking points, or media pitches) and require limited edits
- Natural partner and trusted advisor. You’re able to work seamlessly with external agencies to ensure alignment and execution against multiple goals. You have a proven ability to advise internal partners on communications strategy and are comfortable working closely with executive leadership.
- Team player with a "no task is too small" attitude
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Passionate about transforming travel (but that’s a given!)
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have five weeks a year to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you’re here for three years, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. We offer pension plan contribution, health, and dental insurance, as well as a great work environment in Moorgate, Central London. In addition, we offer generous and inclusive parental leave.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company is growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is too. We’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more…! You can bring your dog to work. You can go on free coffee dates with coworkers. We have weekly team lunches and regular happy hours. We also organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Launched in 2016 by co-founders Steph Korey and Jen Rubio, Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel. By selling directly to customers both online and through retail stores, Away is able to eliminate retailer mark up and offer high quality, thoughtfully designed luggage and travel essentials without driving up the price. In just under four years, Away has already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” and one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies”. Away is headquartered in New York City, with offices in London and Sydney. To learn more, visit awaytravel.com.
Away is dedicated to hiring a diverse workplace that celebrates an inclusive culture and a sense of belonging. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, veteran status, genetic information or disability.
Away is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.