Away is seeking a Director, Workplace to join our People team. We are a global lifestyle brand that is on a mission to create thoughtful products designed to make travel more seamless. In support of our mission, the ideal candidate will oversee every aspect of our office spaces -- from proactively identifying the needs of our growing team and overseeing office space build out to daily office operations and maintenance -- to ensure our offices support employee productivity and foster community and wellness across our talented and dedicated team. The Director of Workplace leads construction of new spaces, manages relationships with landlords, external vendors and internal stakeholders, all with a keen eye for leading and managing detailed projects and multiple moving pieces. As a member of the People and Culture team, the ideal candidate must be a close listener and problem-solver with a strong customer-service orientation. The role will report into the VP, People and Culture and is based in our SoHo headquarters.
As a company that values inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds and experiences to apply for the position.
What You'll Do:
- New office space: Oversee new office build out from design to move in, ensuring it positively shapes our culture, productivity, wellness and collaboration.
- Secure proper permits for construction
- Identify and manage contractors, architects, engineers; manage RFPs and bids; negotiate contracts; review and approve materials and quotes
- Lead construction projects, including regular meetings, approvals and progress updates
- Gather requirements from all stakeholders to ensure the office meets the needs of the business, balance competing priorities, find creative solutions and communicate with all stakeholders
- Complete necessary inspections
- Manage all facilities documentation, including contracts, artifacts, warranties, tracking, etc.
- Manage and track budget
- Maintain brand standards and aesthetics of the space
- Own and execute office and desk moves that are smooth and seamless for the team
- Existing office operations: Oversee office management, including daily office operations, vendor management and maintenance.
- Maintain high standards for efficiency and cleanliness
- Establish and manage vendor relationships
- Manage and maintain all maintenance contracts, including fire alarms, HVAC, etc.
- Proactively manage facilities budget
Who You Are:
- 10+ years experience in facilities management and/or construction with a record of results, preferably in New York City
- Experience delivering significant projects on time and within budget, and you’ve directly managed contractors, vendors and architects to build out office space
- Obtain working knowledge of OSHA compliance and experience with establishing and maintaining building safety programs
- Excellent communicator in both interpersonal interactions and in written communications
- Hard working with a "no task is too small" attitude
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Passionate about travel (but that’s a given!)
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you’re here for three years, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, and dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, reimbursements to incentivize you to work out, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with organic snacks and coffee.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, and more, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more…! You can bring your dog to work. We’ll give you money every month to grab coffee with coworkers. We have weekly team lunches and regular happy hours. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a modern lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to transform travel
Since our launch in February 2016, we have become one of the fastest growing consumer brands in the world. We have sold millions of travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to nearly 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, and launched several new products and experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know that’s just the beginning!
In just over three years, we have already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies,” one of LinkedIn's "Top Startups," and a Forbes “Next Billion Dollar Startup.” We have also raised more than $156M in total equity funding to fuel our next phase of growth.
Today, we’re expanding into new travel product categories including apparel, wellness and lifestyle accessories as well as investing in the growth of physical retail in the US and abroad--with the plan to open 50 new stores in the next three years. Sound like something you want to be part of? We’re hiring!