Away is seeking a Store Planning & Construction Project Manager to join our Global Real Estate team. We are a global lifestyle brand that is on a mission to create thoughtful products designed to make travel more seamless. In support of our mission, the ideal candidate will have had experience in retail store design development and construction. You will work closely with the Global Real Estate, VM, Construction, IT, Finance, and Retail Operations team. You will report to the VP of Global Real Estate and this position will be based in our HQ in Soho, NY.
Our Real Estate team finds and constructs physical locations that build Away’s reputation as an innovator and thought leader in the brick and mortar retail space. Our team seeks out new markets based on demographics, psychographics, and consumer data to pinpoint ideal locations, connect with our customers, and expand our brand.
As a company that values inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds and experiences to apply for this position.
What You'll Do:
- Manage assigned new and renovations of retail store construction projects, including short term activations and pop ups.
- Prepare store lay-outs , preliminary budgets, schedules and develop schematic design drawings based on Away’s Brand Style Guide ready for hand-off to Architect.
- Develop drawings as necessary to communicate design intent to internal teams, outside vendors and consultants. Partner with VM Designer to ensure proper VM layout.
- Collaborate with cross functional teams including Retail Operations and Experiential to ensure spaces are designed to fit each store’s operational and programming needs, equipping each store with what they need to provide a distinctly Away retail experience.
- Review Architects construction documents to ensure consistency of brand and completeness of drawings meeting all local codes, as well as all vendor proposals, layouts and related shop drawings.
- Coordination of all consultants and preferred vendors involved with a project.
- Manage capital spending of the project to ensure project stays on budget and schedule.
- Prepare bid lists and packages for General Contractors, manage RFIs and shop drawings approvals, level and negotiate bids, and award contracts.
- Visit construction sites and prepare reports (from layout to punch list completion and turnover) to ensure quality of building construction and millwork installation. Identify outstanding issues and ensuring appropriate follow-up.
- Able to trouble-shoot and be proactive to solve issues that arise.
- Responsible for cost tracking of project, including review and approval of all project related invoices.
- Responsible for proper project closeout.
Who You Are:
- 4-5 years of experience in retail design and construction project management, including several years working directly for a retailer.
- Degree in Architecture, Interior Design, Construction or related field.
- Experience with creating and managing budgets and timelines
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to efficiently manage multiple tasks
- Collaborate with strong problem solving and creative thinking skills
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
- Positive with a high level of accountability and elevated taste level
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Always willing to roll your sleeves up to get the job done
- Eager to take on new and varied responsibilities at a rapidly growing consumer brand
- Hard working with a "no task is too small" attitude.
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment.
- Passionate about travel (but that’s a given!)
- Willing to travel 25%-50% during store openings and build outs.
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you’re here for three years, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, and dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, reimbursements to incentivize you to work out, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with organic snacks and coffee.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, and more, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more…! You can bring your dog to work. We’ll give you money every month to grab coffee with coworkers. We have weekly team lunches and regular happy hours. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a modern lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to transform travel.
Since our launch in February 2016, we have become one of the fastest growing consumer brands in the world. We have sold millions of travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to nearly 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, and launched several new products and experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know that’s just the beginning!
In just over three years, we have already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies,” and a Forbes “Next Billion Dollar Startup.” We have also raised more than $156M in total equity funding to fuel our next phase of growth.
Today, we’re expanding into new travel product categories including apparel, wellness and lifestyle accessories as well as investing in the growth of physical retail in the US and abroad--with the plan to open 50 new stores in the next three years. Sound like something you want to be part of? We’re hiring!