We are a global lifestyle brand built on transforming the travel experience. In support of our mission, we are seeking a Data Engineer to join our Data Engineering team.
Our Data Engineering team implements a data pipeline strategy to transform our raw data into consumable information. Our team strives to build scalable and reliable processes that deliver consistent data to our consumers and empower them with information that enhances the end-user experience.
Want to help us transform the travel industry? The ideal candidate will have had experience building data pipelines using Python, experience with distributed data storage systems, and experience working with batch processing using various open source technologies. You will report into the Director of Data Engineering and this position will be based in our Soho office.
As a company that values inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds and experiences to apply for this position.
What You'll Do:
- Collaborate with talented designers, product managers, and fellow engineers to build and plan scalable data pipelines supporting our business requirements
- Design and implement scalable data pipelines from our e-commerce platform, ERP, 3PLs, 3rd party services and our data warehouse
- Implement systems to catch bugs and monitor data quality, ensuring our production data is always accurate and available for key stakeholders and business processes that depend on it
- Push and refine our technology, data structures, and creative practices
Who You Are:
- 2-5 year experience building data pipelines using Python
- 2-5 years experience with distributed data storage systems/formats & data stores such as Snowflake, Redshift or other Big data systems
- SQL knowledge is required, Linux/Unix experience preferred
- Experience working with batch processing/real-time systems using various open source technologies like Spark, MapReduce, NoSQL, Hive, etc.
- Experience working with messaging frameworks such as Kafka or Kinesis
- Experience with Java or Scala is a nice to have
- Experience with Airflow is a nice to have
- Have worked with a major cloud provider such as AWS or Azure
- Knowledge in data modeling, data access, and data storage techniques for big data platforms
- Exposure to Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment & Test Driven Development preferred
- Hard working with a "no task is too small" attitude
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Passionate about travel (but that’s a given!)
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We believe that getting away changes your understanding of the world around you. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And after three years with Away, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take an additional well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. As a global company, our benefits and perks vary by region, but they align with our commitment to support our employees’ wellbeing both inside and outside of work. We offer insurance coverage, financial contributions for retirement, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with snacks and coffee to keep you fueled throughout the day.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs and grow your career along the way.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, company-wide trainings, and events, we’re building an inclusive environment where people can bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent and impact our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more… Dogs in the office, complimentary coffee with coworkers, weekly team lunches, quarterly team outings, and organized volunteer opportunities to give back to our local communities!
Launched in 2016 by co-founders Steph Korey and Jen Rubio, Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel. By selling directly to customers both online and through retail stores, Away is able to eliminate retailer mark up and offer high quality, thoughtfully designed luggage and travel essentials without driving up the price. In just under four years, Away has already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” and one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies”. Away is headquartered in New York City, with offices in London and Sydney. To learn more, visit awaytravel.com.
Away is dedicated to hiring a diverse workplace that celebrates an inclusive culture and a sense of belonging. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, veteran status, genetic information or disability.
Away is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.