We are a global lifestyle brand built on transforming the travel experience. In support of our mission, we are seeking a Sr. Data Engineer to join our team.
As a company that values diversity, equity, and inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds and experiences to apply for this position. We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups and mandatory bias training, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
In support of our mission, the ideal candidate would be interested in building scalable data pipelines, ELT processes, supporting our ERP and POS implementation and other critical projects. You will report to the Director, Data Engineering and be based in our New York City office.
What you'll do:
- Build, own and operate scalable data pipelines and related data warehouse for our e-commerce platform, ERP, 3PLs and our 3rd party services supporting our business requirements
- Collaborate with talented designers, product managers, and fellow engineers to build and plan reliable and robust systems
- Mentor other engineers in the team and guide them through code reviews and other process improvements
- Implement systems to catch bugs and monitor data quality, ensuring our production data is always accurate and available for key stakeholders and business processes that depend on it
- Push and refine our technology, data structures, and creative practices
Who you are:
- + years of professional software development experience
- 4+ year experience building data pipelines using Python
- 4+ years experience with distributed data storage systems/formats & data stores such as Snowflake, Redshift or other Big data systems
- 2+ years experience in building Kafka based pipelines to stream messages with good exposure to handling failure scenarios
- In-depth understanding of relational databases, including SQL
- Experience working and processing large datasets, and techniques for working with data in volume effectively
- Experience working with batch processing/real-time systems using various open source technologies like Spark, MapReduce, NoSQL, Hive, etc.
- Experience with Java or Groovy
- Ability to work independently and come up with thoughts to improve processes
- SQL knowledge is required
- Linux/Unix experience preferred
- Experience with Java or Scala is a nice to have
- Experience with Airflow is nice to have
- Have worked with a major cloud provider such as AWS or Azure
- Exposure to Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment & Test Driven Development preferred
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We believe that getting away changes your understanding of the world around you. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And after three years with Away, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take an additional well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. As a global company, our benefits and perks vary by region, but they align with our commitment to support our employees’ wellbeing both inside and outside of work. We offer insurance coverage, financial contributions for retirement, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with snacks and coffee to keep you fueled throughout the day.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs and grow your career along the way.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, company-wide trainings, and events, we’re building an inclusive environment where people can bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent and impact our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more… Dogs in the office, complimentary coffee with coworkers, weekly team lunches, quarterly team outings, and organized volunteer opportunities to give back to our local communities!
Launched in 2016 by co-founders Steph Korey and Jen Rubio, Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel. By selling directly to customers both online and through retail stores, Away is able to eliminate retailer mark up and offer high quality, thoughtfully designed luggage and travel essentials without driving up the price. In just under four years, Away has already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” and one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies”. To learn more, visit awaytravel.com.
Away is dedicated to hiring a diverse workplace that celebrates an inclusive culture and a sense of belonging. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, veteran status, genetic information or disability.
Away is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.