Away is seeking a Data Engineer to join our team. We are a global lifestyle brand that is on a mission to create thoughtful products designed to make travel more seamless. In support of our mission, the ideal candidate would be interested in building scalable data pipelines, supporting our ERP implementation and other critical projects. You will report into the Director, Data Engineering and be based in our SoHo headquarters.
As a company that values inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds and experiences to apply for this position.
What You'll Do:
- Collaborate with talented designers, product managers, and fellow engineers to build and plan scalable data pipelines supporting our business requirements
- Design and implement scalable data pipelines from our e-commerce platform, ERP, 3PLs, 3rd party services and our data warehouse
- Implement systems to catch bugs and monitor data quality, ensuring our production data is always accurate and available for key stakeholders and business processes that depend on it
- Push and refine our technology, data structures, and creative practices
Who You Are:
- 2-5 year experience building data pipelines using Python
- 2-5 years experience with distributed data storage systems/formats & data stores such as Snowflake, Redshift or other Big data systems
- SQL knowledge is required, Linux/Unix experience preferred
- Experience working with batch processing/real-time systems using various open source technologies like Spark, MapReduce, NoSQL, Hive, etc.
- Experience working with messaging frameworks such as Kafka or Kinesis
- Experience with Airflow is a nice to have
- Have worked with a major cloud provider such as AWS or Azure
- Knowledge in data modeling, data access, and data storage techniques for big data platforms
- Exposure to Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment & Test Driven Development preferred
- Hard working with a "no task is too small" attitude
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Passionate about travel (but that’s a given!)
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you’re here for three years, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, and dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, reimbursements to incentivize you to work out, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with organic snacks and coffee.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, and more, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more…! You can bring your dog to work. We’ll give you money every month to grab coffee with coworkers. We have weekly team lunches and regular happy hours. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a modern lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to transform travel
Since our launch in February 2016, we have become one of the fastest growing consumer brands in the world. We have sold millions of travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to nearly 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, and launched several new products and experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know that’s just the beginning!
In just over three years, we have already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies,” one of LinkedIn's "Top Startups," and a Forbes “Next Billion Dollar Startup.” We have also raised more than $156M in total equity funding to fuel our next phase of growth.
Today, we’re expanding into new travel product categories including apparel, wellness and lifestyle accessories as well as investing in the growth of physical retail in the US and abroad--with the plan to open 50 new stores in the next three years. Sound like something you want to be part of? We’re hiring!