Away is seeking a General Manager, UK to lead Away’s London-based team, overseeing all in-market strategy and operations. You’ll be working closely with many cross-functional teams based in our NYC headquarters, including PR, marketing (brand, social, influencer, paid acquisition, retention), creative, logistics, digital product, and CX, to drive growth in the region. This role reports to our NYC-based VP, International and will be based in London.
What You’ll Do:
- You’ll be the voice of our UK customer and lead all our marketing initiatives and operations in the region. As each region in the UK evolves, you’ll be able to help contribute significantly how we can adjust our voice and tactics for each as we grow.
- Together with our VP, International, you will own the UK roadmap, P&L, OKRs, and strategic planning while partnering with other country / regional heads to achieve our overall international goals
- You’ll develop and execute local marketing strategies that adhere to Away’s core brand DNA while also understanding how to tweak these strategies accordingly in order to successfully acquire and retain the UK customer
- You will partner with cross-functional teams set up the necessary infrastructure for the UK business to operate at scale, from CX to warehousing to fulfillment and transportation
- You’ll develop strategic partnerships that you identify as the best opportunities for Away.
- You will work cross-functionally with our global team in New York City to scale the UK business and partner with those functional leads and the VP, International to determine if / when certain functions should be resourced in a dedicated or local capacity (e.g., CX, marketing, operations, creative, retail, etc.)
- In addition to UK responsibilities, you will be a thought partner to our VP, International and Senior Marketing Manager, Germany / Nordics for our existing early stage brand-building efforts in continental Europe.
- You’ll manage the daily and long term needs of your business. No project is too big or too small to handle.
You Should Have:
- Minimum 12-15 years of experience in marketing, operations, strategy, or international expansion, including at least 3 years in UK-focused operating roles for a consumer brand with cross-functional responsibility
- A deep understanding of how to establish brand awareness from scratch and gain cultural credibility in the UK, ideally rooted in extended time spent in-market
- Familiarity with both e-commerce and physical retail operations
- A track record of hiring and developing high-performing teams
- Prior experience with P&L ownership, budgeting, and/or financial modeling
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have five (5) weeks a year to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you’re here for three years, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. We offer pension plan contribution, health and dental insurance as well as a great work environment in Moorgate, Central London.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company is growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups and our growing team in the UK, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a modern lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to transform travel.
Since our launch in February 2016, we have become one of the fastest growing consumer brands in the world. We have sold millions of travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to nearly 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, and launched several new products and experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know that’s just the beginning!
In just over three years, we have already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies,” and a Forbes “Next Billion Dollar Startup.” We have also raised more than $156M in total equity funding to fuel our next phase of growth.
Today, we’re expanding into new travel product categories including apparel, wellness and lifestyle accessories as well as investing in the growth of physical retail in the US and abroad--with the plan to open 50 new stores in the next three years. Sound like something you want to be part of? We’re hiring!