Away is looking for a Director of Packaging to join our product development team and lead packaging development and strategy. You will lead a team in the USA and Asia to ensure that Away packaging is of a quality, design and utility to create an exceptional customer experience.
Packaging is an essential part of the product at Away, so the ideal candidate will feel ownership over this product and relentlessly focus on improving and elevating it. The right candidate will have excellent communication skills and work closely with our creative, production, ops, and PD staff.
Our mission at Away is to make travel as seamless and enjoyable as possible. We launched 3 years ago with the perfect carry-on, expanded later in the year to the perfect checked bags, and are now on a mission to create the perfect version of everything you need to travel seamlessly. We obsess over how we can improve our customers’ experiences by designing and manufacturing products for the travel experience and offering them with the benefits of being direct-to-consumer.
This position is based out of our headquarters in Soho and reports to our VP of Product Development and Sourcing.
What You'll Do:
- Manage the development calendar and communication with the cross functional teams to deliver launches on a timely basis
- Lead the USA and Asia team to follow the strategy and be flexible to hear new ideas from your team as well as factory partners.
- Lead packaging innovation efforts - new materials, new cost savings ideas, new processes.
- Communicate issues on a timely basis so cross functional teams can assist as needed. We are IN IT Together.
- Oversee process of defining packaging requirements and translating creative and marketing concepts into technical packaging specifications
- Provide a comprehensive overview of each package project that defines function, manufacturability, costs, preliminary development lead time and design parameters
- Ensure construction & design of all packaging achieves design, function and quality criteria within cost & time objectives
- Validate that all technical drawings and package specifications identify all aspects required to define package to manufacturer
- Develop network of domestic and international suppliers and manage interactions with these suppliers
- Implement package testing process
- Drive innovation by exploring new packaging concepts, technologies & materials to support new Design & Product Development ideas
- Set up continuous improvement program, including: QC & QA, sustainability, cost to manufacture and optimized size to ship for the greatest efficiency
- Travel approx 20% of the time
Who You Are:
- Bachelor's Degree with 8 - 10 years of experience in packaging development. BS in Packaging Engineering or related technical discipline a plus
- Management experience
- Experience in consumer products or related industry with development experience in packaging. Bonus points for experience developing packaging for e-commerce / online delivery
- Experienced with international packaging development (Asia)
- Possess a broad knowledge of packaging materials (including but not limited to paper, corrugated, dustbags, plastics), knowledge of primary, secondary and tertiary packaging development for consumer products, the formation of the different packaging construction (e.g., corrugated boxes, folding cartons, injection/extrusion molding, vacuum forming, mechanical or manual assembly, etc) and different printing techniques.
- Superior problem solving skills with a proven ability to be an extremely flexible team member that can meet deadlines and excel in a fast-paced, demanding environment.
- Excellent at working with cross-functional teams with competing priorities. Particularly Creative, Operations & Product Development
- Excellent communication skills, to be able to deal effectively with all levels of the organization and suppliers
- Excellent organizational skills to manage the documentation, materials, samples and information
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We believe that getting away changes your understanding of the world around you. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And after three years with Away, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take an additional well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. As a global company, our benefits and perks vary by region, but they align with our commitment to support our employees’ wellbeing both inside and outside of work. We offer insurance coverage, financial contributions for retirement, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with snacks and coffee to keep you fueled throughout the day.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs and grow your career along the way.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, company-wide trainings, and events, we’re building an inclusive environment where people can bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent and impact our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more… Dogs in the office, complimentary coffee with coworkers, weekly team lunches, quarterly team outings, and organized volunteer opportunities to give back to our local communities!
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a modern lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to transform travel.
Since our launch in February 2016, we have become one of the fastest growing consumer brands in the world. We have sold millions of travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to nearly 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, and launched several new products and experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know that’s just the beginning!
In just over three years, we have already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies,” and a Forbes “Next Billion Dollar Startup.” We have also raised more than $156M in total equity funding to fuel our next phase of growth.
Today, we’re expanding into new travel product categories including apparel, wellness and lifestyle accessories as well as investing in the growth of physical retail in the US and abroad--with the plan to open 50 new stores in the next three years. Sound like something you want to be part of? We’re hiring!