Away is seeking a Tax Manager to join our global finance team, based in our NY headquarters. We are a global lifestyle brand that is on a mission to create thoughtful products designed to make travel more seamless. In support of our mission, this role will handle all things global and US tax, leading the tax planning, reporting and compliance, system and process design and implementation, and tax accounting. The ideal candidate loves tax and is excited for the opportunity to build, lead, and evolve a strong global tax foundation that will scale within a high-growth organization. You will develop relationships with key internal and external stakeholders, including external tax advisors and people within the executive, finance, supply chain, legal, and HR teams, and you will both design and execute on tax strategies to ensure compliance and efficiency. You will report directly into the Controller.
What You’ll Do
- Become the go-to tax leader, acting as the internal and external point of contact for all tax-related inquiries and analysis
- Support company tax planning and optimization for existing and future business activities
- Oversee transfer pricing initiatives, including developing and helping implement policies and processes
- Manage all federal and state income tax filings, including overseeing the calculation of the provision, developing processes to calculate and reconcile deferred tax assets and liabilities, and ensuring timely filing and payment of all extensions and returns
- Monitor future tax legislation, research the impact on the Company’s financial position, and work with Controller and external partners to advise on the best position to optimize tax planning
- Maintain US sales tax compliance, including managing existing and future sales and use tax registrations, overseeing sales and use tax filings, and maintaining the Avalara sales tax platform
- Manage nexus studies and determination of nexus in relevant jurisdictions
- Work with accounting team to develop processes to ensure compliance with use tax across all states, and perform regular review of use tax compliance
- Assist Controller and Europe Finance Manager with international tax compliance, such as creating reporting for VAT filings, assisting in the roll-out of VAT management software, and providing documentation when requested by third party accountants
- Support the People Operations (HR) team with regard to payroll taxes, including reviewing and responding to notices, and providing support for any requests from our payroll provider ADP
- Develop, implement, and maintain internal controls over direct and indirect tax
- Support the Controller and operational business partners with special projects and requests
- Assist with audit requests, such as preparing supporting documentation and schedules or providing requested support
- Maintain process documentation and look for opportunities to automate and improve daily account processes
- Build and present ad-hoc reports to support monthly analyses as needed
Who You Are:
- BA/BS or Masters in Accounting/Tax, CPA required
- 5-7 years of tax experience in multi-national organizations based in the US
- High proficiency in tax research and proposing recommendations
- Ecommerce experience required; preference to candidates with a consumer product goods experience and exposure to international sales tax (VAT)
- Strong understanding of US GAAP, SOX 404, transfer pricing, and US tax law
- Comfortable developing and designing processes, policies, work papers, and templates
- Enthusiastic and eager to learn and problem solve, including taking initiative to propose solutions
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented with strong organizational and time management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with management, direct co-workers, as well as other departments
- Advanced Excel skills
- Exposure to Avalara, Netsuite, and Looker a plus but not a requirement
- Hard working with a "no task is too small" attitude.
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment.
- Passionate about travel (but that’s a given!)
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We believe that getting away changes your understanding of the world around you. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And after three years with Away, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take an additional well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. As a global company, our benefits and perks vary by region, but they align with our commitment to support our employees’ wellbeing both inside and outside of work. We offer insurance coverage, financial contributions for retirement, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with snacks and coffee to keep you fueled throughout the day.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to
- do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs and grow your career along the way.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, company-wide trainings, and events, we’re building an inclusive environment where people can bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent and impact our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more… Dogs in the office, complimentary coffee with coworkers, weekly team lunches, quarterly team outings, and organized volunteer opportunities to give back to our local communities!
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a modern lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to transform travel.
Since our launch in February 2016, we have become one of the fastest growing consumer brands in the world. We have sold millions of travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to nearly 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, and launched several new products and experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know that’s just the beginning!
In just over three years, we have already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies,” and a Forbes “Next Billion Dollar Startup.” We have also raised more than $156M in total equity funding to fuel our next phase of growth.
Today, we’re expanding into new travel product categories including apparel, wellness and lifestyle accessories as well as investing in the growth of physical retail in the US and abroad--with the plan to open 50 new stores in the next three years. Sound like something you want to be part of? We’re hiring!