The Facilities Maintenance Mechanic is an integral member within the Facilities team. The FM Mechanic will support our NYC offices by performing highly diversified duties to install, troubleshoot, repair and maintain facility equipment according to safety, predictive and productive maintenance systems and processes to support the achievement of the site’s business goals and objectives. Items included may consists of performing regular preventative maintenance to equipment across our offices, as well as a variety of plumbing maintenance & carpentry functions -- to ensure our office space supports employee productivity and fosters community and wellness across our talented and dedicated team.
This person is excited to develop scalable processes to support the continued growth of Away in 2019 and beyond, and will support the creation of the timeline and budget for any repairs/maintenance as they come up. The role reports to Away’s Director of Facilities and is located at our headquarters in SoHo, New York City.
What You'll Do:
- Provides professional and courteous service at all times.
- Addresses all maintenance and preventative maintenance to include: refrigeration, heating, plumbing, water treatment, preventative maintenance, front and back of house spaces, A/C units, ice machines, lighting, kitchen equipment, etc.
- Make a periodically check in electricity, plumbing, air conditioning and furniture.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Ensures all projects are completed according to specifications and are completed on time.
- Understands and practices all lock out-tag out procedures in accordance with OSHA standards.
- Identified & performs all required preventive maintenance services
- Logs properly when performing any maintenance
- Reports all safety and security concerns to the Director of Facilities immediately.
- Ensures all key inventories are secure.
- Responds to all emergency situations prepared to assist.
- Ensures cleanliness and orderliness of all work space and storage areas.
- React quickly in emergency situations and make decisions that may involve high budgets or the safety of others.
- Change easily and frequently from one activity to another.
- Be available on nights, weekends and holidays.
- Physical Demands: Lifting 50 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 25 lbs. Requires walking or standing to a significant degree, reaching, handling, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing.
Who You Are:
- High school diploma/GED and completion of a craft apprenticeship, or an equivalent number of years of education and production maintenance experience.
- 4+ years of experience; strong HVAC, electrical and mechanical/plumbing background
- You have experience delivering projects on time and within budget, and you’ve worked with contractors, vendors and architects to build out office spaces
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills
- Passionate commitment to the company vision
- Experience managing maintenance budgets and timelines
- Extremely organized and able to manage multiple projects and timelines simultaneously
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We believe that getting away changes your understanding of the world around you. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And after three years with Away, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take an additional well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. As a global company, our benefits and perks vary by region, but they align with our commitment to support our employees’ wellbeing both inside and outside of work. We offer insurance coverage, financial contributions for retirement, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with snacks and coffee to keep you fueled throughout the day.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs and grow your career along the way.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, company-wide trainings, and events, we’re building an inclusive environment where people can bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent and impact our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more… Dogs in the office, complimentary coffee with coworkers, weekly team lunches, quarterly team outings, and organized volunteer opportunities to give back to our local communities!
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a modern lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to transform travel.
Since our launch in February 2016, we have become one of the fastest growing consumer brands in the world. We have sold millions of travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to nearly 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, and launched several new products and experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know that’s just the beginning!
In just over three years, we have already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies,” and a Forbes “Next Billion Dollar Startup.” We have also raised more than $156M in total equity funding to fuel our next phase of growth.
Today, we’re expanding into new travel product categories including apparel, wellness and lifestyle accessories as well as investing in the growth of physical retail in the US and abroad--with the plan to open 50 new stores in the next three years. Sound like something you want to be part of? We’re hiring!