Away is looking for a Director of Accessories Development and Sourcing. This person will be a highly-skilled product development, sourcing & project management leader. Product development and sourcing is your bread and butter, but at Away you operate as a product owner, not just a developer. Each and every product you bring to life will be a category winner and only get better from there. To achieve this you actively weave together everything that gives D2C companies such an advantage over traditional retailers | robust insights, beautiful unboxing, continuous improvement & iteration, R&D/Innovation team suggestions, personalization operations, product marketing, customer experience.
This role is based in New York and reports into our Head of Product Development and Sourcing in our SoHo NY headquarters.
What You'll Do:
- Own all Accessories product sourcing and development throughout the full lifecycle, from initial kickoff through to PO and continuous improvement.
- Create and continuously improve scalable processes.
- Establish and nurture long-term, mutually beneficial relationships with world-class manufacturing partners.
- Remain in sync with product marketing, design and other cross-functional partners to ensure product is on brand, meets needs, fits assortment, has best in class features & looks great both online and offline.
- Be a subject-matter expert for every product, feeding innovation and insights to your cross-functional partners.
- Maintain a deep technical knowledge of accessories development and production, raw materials (leather, fabric, trims, hardwares) and be the custodian for the Away aesthetic and quality standards in our products
- Set, then meet or beat expectations for speed, cost, quality, service and sustainability.
- Manage supplier relationships by continuously compiling and utilizing fact-based scorecards, drawing insights from data that leads to actionable and measurable improvements.
- Deeply understand and pursue all possible levers that may increase quality, cost, service, sustainability, and/or delivery.
Who You Are:
- 7 or more years of experience in handbags & accessories or adjacent categories (e.g., outdoor bags).
- Experience using data, insights and KPIs including NPS, product reviews, and returns data to inform development goals
- Existing network of materials suppliers, manufacturers and support services (e.g., product renovators)
- Deep experience in working with world class manufacturing partners and developing new products
- Expert problem solver, acts decisively and proactively develops recommendations to senior leadership and factories to avoid or resolve critical issues.
- Overachiever who takes ownership of all elements of a product’s performance - always pushing as fast as possible to improve and exceed expectations
- Adept at managing constantly changing priorities and calendar changes in a fast-paced growth environment
- Strong people manager who has proven experience building A-class teams
- Willing to travel up to 25% of time
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We believe that getting away changes your understanding of the world around you. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And after three years with Away, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take an additional well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. As a global company, our benefits and perks vary by region, but they align with our commitment to support our employees’ wellbeing both inside and outside of work. We offer insurance coverage, financial contributions for retirement, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with snacks and coffee to keep you fueled throughout the day.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs and grow your career along the way.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, company-wide trainings, and events, we’re building an inclusive environment where people can bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent and impact our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more… Dogs in the office, complimentary coffee with coworkers, weekly team lunches, quarterly team outings, and organized volunteer opportunities to give back to our local communities!
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a modern lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to transform travel.
Since our launch in February 2016, we have become one of the fastest growing consumer brands in the world. We have sold millions of travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to nearly 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, and launched several new products and experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know that’s just the beginning!
In just over three years, we have already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies,” and a Forbes “Next Billion Dollar Startup.” We have also raised more than $156M in total equity funding to fuel our next phase of growth.
Today, we’re expanding into new travel product categories including apparel, wellness and lifestyle accessories as well as investing in the growth of physical retail in the US and abroad--with the plan to open 50 new stores in the next three years. Sound like something you want to be part of? We’re hiring!