Away is looking for a Senior Manager – Luggage PD & Sourcing in Asia to build our world class supply chain to bring beautiful products to life . You will be responsible for developing products & commercializing new innovations, establishing and maintaining strategic supplier relationships to optimize the speed and quality of our development projects, and to expand our global supplier network. The right candidate is inspired to challenge assumptions and work hand in hand with factory teams to bring truly innovative products to life.
You will be the primary contact for internal teams and external partners/suppliers for development and procurement of new and limited edition luggage and its components. You will execute against our sourcing strategies to secure suppliers with optimal pricing, flexibility, quality, capacity and capabilities.
This position is based in Asia and reports into our PD & Sourcing Director - Luggage, Asia.
What You'll Do:
1) Product development
- Manage daily operations and communications with factories and internal teams of assigned development projects.
- Work closely with US Design and PD team to understand aesthetic design intent and functional product requirements and communicate them effectively to factories and material suppliers in Asia.
- Be co-owner of the overall development project calendar and sample lead time.
- Support factories and material suppliers by providing them the necessary information (technical and non-technical) in order to make their developments as smooth as possible.
- Ensure quality of the developed finished products and materials through careful material selection and testing.
- Work hand-in-hand with Quality team to ensure quality of bulk production goods and to constantly review/ update test protocols.
- Build strong relationship with factories and material suppliers.
- Support sourcing activities to consistently ensure the quality of supplier pool and to be highly informed on market trends, innovations and novelties. Make sure that we select to the right partners who can scale at our pace of growth.
- Supplier management: supplier qualifications, performance management, currency & duty optimization, and global market analysis.
- Find efficiencies with partners to improve costs.
- Set risk management procedures and calmly activate as and when necessary without disrupting supply.
Who You Are:
- Hold a bachelor degree in a technical, business or a related field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 5 to 10 years of product development experience, ideally in the luggage industry.
- Excellent technical knowledge and cost modeling experience for luggage related materials: plastic, metal and fabric. Leather is a plus.
- Experience collaborating and working cross-functionally with Finance, Legal, Engineering, and Operations/Manufacturing teams. Experience developing stakeholder relationships.
- Proven ability to build deep relationships with best in class suppliers to achieve great quality and on time delivery
- Objective in assessment of supplier strengths and weaknesses, not distracted by sales pitch
- Problem solver (for both technical and non-technical matters).
- Ability to suggest technical solutions.
- Excellent negotiator.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong factory and material supplier network.
- High proficiency in English and Mandarin.
- Command of graphic tools (2D/ 3D) is a plus.
- Based in or willing to relocate to Hong Kong.
- Willing to travel up to 75% of the time throughout SE Asia
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We believe that getting away changes your understanding of the world around you. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And after three years with Away, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take an additional well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. As a global company, our benefits and perks vary by region, but they align with our commitment to support our employees’ wellbeing both inside and outside of work. We offer insurance coverage, financial contributions for retirement, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with snacks and coffee to keep you fueled throughout the day.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to
- do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs and grow your career along the way.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, company-wide trainings, and events, we’re building an inclusive environment where people can bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent and impact our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more… Dogs in the office, complimentary coffee with coworkers, weekly team lunches, quarterly team outings, and organized volunteer opportunities to give back to our local communities!
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a modern lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to transform travel.
Since our launch in February 2016, we have become one of the fastest growing consumer brands in the world. We have sold millions of travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to nearly 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, and launched several new products and experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know that’s just the beginning!
In just over three years, we have already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies,” and a Forbes “Next Billion Dollar Startup.” We have also raised more than $156M in total equity funding to fuel our next phase of growth.
Today, we’re expanding into new travel product categories including apparel, wellness and lifestyle accessories as well as investing in the growth of physical retail in the US and abroad--with the plan to open 50 new stores in the next three years. Sound like something you want to be part of? We’re hiring!