We're looking for a Senior Manager, PR (International) to contribute to driving and executing the communications strategy in new and emerging markets, and on a global scale. The candidate must have experience managing global agencies, driving media relations in multiple international markets, and a strong understanding of the global media landscape.
The Senior Manager, PR (International) will report directly to the Director of PR and can be based out of our headquarters in NYC or our office in London. The candidate must be open to international travel and able to manage prompt responsiveness across multiple time zones around the world.
As a company that values inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds and experiences to apply for this position.
What You'll Do:
- Project Management + Cross-Functional Representation: Supporting the PR Director, serve as the International PR team lead on project managing ongoing priorities and new global market launches to streamline various projects from ideation through to completion. You’ll support cross-functional efforts, by representing the PR team in various meetings, partnering closely with teams across the company to manage cross-functional workflows.
- Agency Management + Media Relations: Lead on the development and implementation of localized international PR plans in partnership with the internal PR team as well as external PR agencies, to drive brand awareness in new and existing international markets and contribute to furthering the brand narratives through evergreen efforts that translate into earned media. You bring an existing network of journalist contacts from top outlets around the world, you’ll support PR agencies by advising on campaign strategies, and coach junior members of the team as you work together to build relationships with key media in multiple markets.
- Story Development + Pitch Ideation: Stay in touch with international trends and identify press opportunities while acting as an advisor to the broader PR team on what key moments we should be capitalizing on. Possess the ability to identify what trends will resonate in different markets and to build strong narratives and concepts that will drive earned media.
- Writing: Develop compelling written content by contributing to Q&As, statements, talking points, briefings, award nominations, and media pitches.
- Executive Support: Create and conduct media briefings for key company spokespeople, facilitate and staff interviews, and share read-outs and notes following for the team’s visibility.
- Inbox Management: With support from the Manager and Associate, work with the Director of PR to guide timely and high-quality responses to all international facing inbound media requests.
- Rapid Response: Serve as primary support for the Director of PR on international crisis communications, flagging possible vulnerabilities and potential consequences, and maintaining a Crisis Communications protocol program (response systems, internal training, etc.).
- Goal Setting + Reporting: You contribute to setting (in collaboration with Manager and Director) monthly objectives for your markets with clear KPIs, working closely with the PR Associate to contribute to team- and company-wide reporting.
Who You Are:
- You have 6+ years of directly relevant experience, with a preference for both agency and in-house experience on a public relations / communications team.
- You’re a strategic thinker as well as a doer. You can think big-picture and also roll up your sleeves to get the job done, focusing your and company resources on efforts that add significant strategic value and long-term advancement to our overarching communications goals.
- You’re a self-starter. You can recommend and initiate projects with minimal direction.
- You’re a relationship builder and quickly becoming a media relations pro. You’re nurturing productive and trustworthy relationships with agency partners and are in the process of building out your own media network when relevant, identifying and collaborating with key outlets in your markets as well as internal stakeholders.
- You have excellent verbal communication skills and you’re great under pressure, possessing the ability to act as a company spokesperson, with on-the-record experience in both print and broadcast media interviews.
- You’re creative. You’re able to conceptualize newsworthy moments, develop story ideas even when the hook isn’t obvious to most, and follow through with pitches that land great media.
- You’re a skilled writer and editor, comfortable developing content for a variety of purposes (Q&As, statements, talking points, or media pitches) and require limited edits from your Director.
- You’re a natural partner and trusted advisor. You’re able to work seamlessly with external agencies to ensure alignment and execution against multiple goals. You have a proven ability to advise internal partners on communications strategy and are comfortable working closely with executive leadership.
- You care about results. You’re able to measure success and report on what’s working and what’s not so we can iterate and improve on a regular basis.
- You show strong attention to detail and have exceptional organizational skills.
- Maintaining positivity and poise in even the most stressful situations.
- Hard working with a "no task is too small" attitude.
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment.
- Passionate about travel (but that’s a given!)
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We believe that getting away changes your understanding of the world around you. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And after three years with Away, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take an additional well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. As a global company, our benefits and perks vary by region, but they align with our commitment to support our employees’ wellbeing both inside and outside of work. We offer insurance coverage, financial contributions for retirement, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with snacks and coffee to keep you fueled throughout the day.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs and grow your career along the way.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, company-wide trainings, and events, we’re building an inclusive environment where people can bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent and impact our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more… Dogs in the office, complimentary coffee with coworkers, weekly team lunches, quarterly team outings, and organized volunteer opportunities to give back to our local communities!
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a modern lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to transform travel.
Since our launch in February 2016, we have become one of the fastest growing consumer brands in the world. We have sold millions of travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to nearly 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, and launched several new products and experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know that’s just the beginning!
In just over three years, we have already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies,” and a Forbes “Next Billion Dollar Startup.” We have also raised more than $156M in total equity funding to fuel our next phase of growth.
Today, we’re expanding into new travel product categories including apparel, wellness and lifestyle accessories as well as investing in the growth of physical retail in the US and abroad--with the plan to open 50 new stores in the next three years. Sound like something you want to be part of? We’re hiring!