Away is seeking a thoughtful, innovative, and dynamic Director of Creative Strategy. This role will be the strategic driver of all creative initiatives—leading the creation of insightful, compelling, data-driven briefs that foster big ideas and transform the way people think about travel. The ideal candidate is an expert in the cultural and creative landscape, is intensely familiar with channel strategy, and never settles for anything less than excellent. You understand collaboration is key and are at your best partnering with leadership across Creative, Brand, Growth and more to facilitate game-changing strategy.
This role is based at our headquarters in SoHo, NY and reports into our VP of Creative Strategy.
As a company that values inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds and experiences to apply for this position.
What You'll Do:
- Develop the strategy pillar of the Creative team, putting our brand purpose at the core, and set the processes, methods and standards that will guide future hires.
- Lead strategy on a day-to-day basis in both a high-level and hands-on capacity as needed while identifying key hires to build out the team and effectively delegate roles and responsibilities.
- Translate brand marketing briefs into creative briefs—leveraging data, consumer research, cultural context and business needs to ensure our strategies are insightful, compelling and brand-led.
- Utilize your mastery of strategy fundamentals, such as leveraging quant and qual research, brief writing, cultural planning tools, performance analysis, and more, to inform and guide all steps of the creative process—from briefing to execution.
- Be an expert in Away’s consumer, commercial and cultural contexts.
- Act as a source of clarity for the team—ensuring campaign goals are defined, ambitious and right for the business and that there’s a shared vision among cross functional stakeholders.
- Lead with insights and truths that inspire great work, while encouraging creative and innovative problem solving.
- Become a champion for creative opportunities—pushing the team to take advantage of moments in culture for organic and innovative engagement with our community and beyond.
- Consistently measure the success and effectiveness of our work in market and identify opportunities for adjustments and improvements as needed.
Who You Are:
- 8+ years strategic planning experience in a creative environment, advertising agency experience preferred.
- Experienced in writing insightful briefs and leading compelling briefings that guide teams to innovative, boundary-pushing work.
- Proven track record of successfully transforming brand strategy into creative strategy that guides successful in-market work.
- Well versed in most forms of quantitative and qualitative research methodologies, and working knowledge of when and how to apply them.
- Deeply familiar with channel strategies, including full funnel, traditional and digital advertising, direct response programs, email, website, mobile, search and social media.
- Experienced in and comfortable working cross-functionally with various key stakeholders throughout the organization.
- Exceptional presentation skills with the ability to clearly articulate your rationale and evoke excitement with your recommendations.
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment where deadlines, priorities and initiatives change frequently—stability means you’re not innovating.
- Passionate about travel (but that’s a given!)
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We believe that getting away changes your understanding of the world around you. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And after three years with Away, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take an additional well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. As a global company, our benefits and perks vary by region, but they align with our commitment to support our employees’ wellbeing both inside and outside of work. We offer insurance coverage, financial contributions for retirement, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with snacks and coffee to keep you fueled throughout the day.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to
- do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs and grow your career along the way.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, company-wide trainings, and events, we’re building an inclusive environment where people can bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent and impact our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more… Dogs in the office, complimentary coffee with coworkers, weekly team lunches, quarterly team outings, and organized volunteer opportunities to give back to our local communities!
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a modern lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to transform travel.
Since our launch in February 2016, we have become one of the fastest growing consumer brands in the world. We have sold millions of travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to nearly 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, and launched several new products and experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know that’s just the beginning!
In just over three years, we have already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies,” and a Forbes “Next Billion Dollar Startup.” We have also raised more than $156M in total equity funding to fuel our next phase of growth.
Today, we’re expanding into new travel product categories including apparel, wellness and lifestyle accessories as well as investing in the growth of physical retail in the US and abroad--with the plan to open 50 new stores in the next three years. Sound like something you want to be part of? We’re hiring!