We're looking for a Chief of Staff to enable scale and maximum impact for our co-founder and CEO, Steph Korey. Reporting directly to Steph Korey, this position will directly contribute to the growth of Away by supporting her on all internal and external matters. You’ll be her right hand person and create leverage on her time by acting as a bridge, a proxy, an organizer and analyzer of information, and a strategic advisor. The right person for this role possesses exceptional EQ, is highly data-driven and results-oriented, thinks strategically, builds trust and relationships, and is a strong communicator and leader. Your ability to proactively identify opportunities to add value to the CEO and company will be a critical driver in aligning the organization around priorities as we scale and grow to become the world’s most beloved travel brand.
Some of what you’ll do:
- Act as the bridge for smooth communication between the CEO and leaders across the organization, building relationships crucial to effective collaboration across the company.
- Allow the CEO to have maximum impact by ensuring that vision, culture, and intent is properly developed and communicated across the team.
- Successfully execute deliverables with a hands-on approach including drafting correspondence from the CEO and other tasks that facilitate the ability to effectively execute top priorities.
- Provide decision support for opportunities of all sizes through research, analysis of data/information, and providing clear presentations of your takeaways and recommendations.
- Conduct meeting preparation and research: You will be responsible for providing research and insight for all internal and external CEO meetings as well as ensuring that all internal meetings have a defined agenda and objectives.
- Provide ad-hoc support on projects small to large; this could include research, financial modeling, internal initiatives, new expansion explorations, and more. Step in where help is most needed.
- Prepare presentations for internal and external audiences. This will usually involve designing highly compelling presentations for company-wide meetings and speaking engagements.
- Identify cross-functional opportunities that don’t have a clear home within the organization and assume ownership to lead and execute, with direct approval from leadership team and founders.
- Be a master of execution and project management, holding the team accountable and ensuring that deadlines are met across high-priority, cross-functional projects.
- Demonstrate clear instincts for prioritization and determining what situations should be elevated to the co-founders, and what can be addressed otherwise.
- Attend critical meetings with our CEO (or on her behalf where appropriate) reporting back key information to the appropriate parties and owning all meeting follow-ups and action items.
- Proactively be one step ahead and consistently spot opportunities to add value or take things off of the CEO’s plate and onto your own
- Work closely with the CEO’s EA to manage prioritization of schedules and meetings.
- Travel occasionally with or on behalf of our CEO to high-priority events.
Who you are:
- You have strong business and financial acumen with at least 10 years of relevant experience including:
- In a highly analytical role (as examples, at a top-tier management consulting firm, investment bank, or in a financial operating role at a high growth company)
- As a Chief of Staff in an organization with hundreds or thousands of employees
- You are able to build trust with leadership, as well as with internal and external stakeholders at all levels
- You are a presentations expert (PowerPoint/Keynote/G-Suite)
- You are an impeccable communicator in any medium: in emails and Slack, in person during one-on-ones, presenting in front of large audiences; you have the ability to distill and convey complex information in a compelling manner
- You posses detail-oriented organizational and process management skills that allow you to manage a wide range of incoming requests and responsibilities
- You are proactive, resourceful, and instinctive, with a natural ability to solve problems and seek new information
- You thrive in an incredibly fast-paced, sometimes ambiguous work environment with action-orientation and drive
- You are low-ego, high-energy, are emotionally intelligent, and exhibit the qualities of a servant leader, always asking what you can do to make everyone around you more successful
- You are a strategic thinker, pro-active to the point of prescience, with the ability to foresee the impact of multiple projects
- You have a passion for understanding and fulfilling internal or external customer needs with a true problem solver mindset
- You possess extreme attention to detail, a sense of urgency, reliability, and commitment to mastering your work
- You demonstrate strong judgment in your decision making and have exceptional time management and prioritization skills; you’re able to see the “big picture” and the details
- You maintain professional discretion with sensitive and highly confidential information at all times
- You love to travel (but that's a given!)
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you’re here for three years, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, and dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, reimbursements to incentivize you to work out, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with organic snacks and coffee.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, and more, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more…! You can bring your dog to work. We’ll give you money every month to grab coffee with coworkers. We have weekly team breakfasts and regular happy hours. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a modern lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to transform travel.
Since our launch in February 2016, we have become one of the fastest growing consumer brands in the world. We have sold millions of travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to nearly 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, and launched several new products and experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know that’s just the beginning!
In just over three years, we have already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies,” and a Forbes “Next Billion Dollar Startup.” We have also raised more than $156M in total equity funding to fuel our next phase of growth.
Today, we’re expanding into new travel product categories including apparel, wellness and lifestyle accessories as well as investing in the growth of physical retail in the US and abroad--with the plan to open 50 new stores in the next three years. Sound like something you want to be part of? We’re hiring!