We are a global lifestyle brand built on transforming the travel experience. In support of our mission, we are seeking a Director, Site Reliability Engineering to join our Software Engineering Team.
As a company that values diversity, equity, and inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds and experiences to apply for this position. We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups and mandatory bias training, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
Want to help us transform the travel industry? The ideal candidate is interested in building scalable infrastructure, adding system resiliency, improving developer productivity, automating everything that can (and should) be automated, as well as being a thoughtful people manager and leader. They will oversee a small team of SRE engineers responsible for overall site health and reducing operational issues as well as the long term strategy for our infrastructure. You will report to the VP, Engineering and be based in our Soho office.
What you’ll do:
- Conduct strategy and long term roadmap of our site reliability function and technology infrastructure
- Build out an SRE team from scratch
- Work on projects to improve scalability of our systems as we support more countries, fulfillment centers, shipping carriers, technology platforms, etc.
- Owning site uptime, monitoring/alerting, CI/CD, cloud networking, security, and overall performance
- Establish and monitor KPIs for reliability, throughput, quality, and controls; deliver dashboards that provide operational and executive views
- Being a technology leader, contributor to projects, including some coding, code reviews, and architectural discussions
- Partner with Application Engineering to maximize platform reliability through code, tools and monitoring improvements
Who you are:
- 7+ years of site reliability engineering, devops, or related infrastructure experience
- 3+ years of engineering management experience
- 2+ years of retail and/or e-commerce experience
- Experience with cloud infrastructure (AWS and Azure)
- Experience with data streaming platforms like Apache Kafka
- Experience with Heroku, or similar PaaS providers
- Proficiency in Ruby on Rails or Node
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We believe that getting away changes your understanding of the world around you. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And after three years with Away, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take an additional well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. As a global company, our benefits and perks vary by region, but they align with our commitment to support our employees’ wellbeing both inside and outside of work. We offer insurance coverage, financial contributions for retirement, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with snacks and coffee to keep you fueled throughout the day.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to
- do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs and grow your career along the way.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, company-wide trainings, and events, we’re building an inclusive environment where people can bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent and impact our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more…! You can bring your dog to work and we also organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Launched in 2016 by co-founders Steph Korey and Jen Rubio, Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel. By selling directly to customers both online and through retail stores, Away is able to eliminate retailer mark up and offer high quality, thoughtfully designed luggage and travel essentials without driving up the price. In just under four years, Away has already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” and one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies”. Away is headquartered in New York City, with offices in London and Sydney. To learn more, visit awaytravel.com.
Away is dedicated to hiring a diverse workplace that celebrates an inclusive culture and a sense of belonging. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, veteran status, genetic information or disability.
Away is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.