Away is seeking an experienced VP of Brand Marketing to lead visionary brand communications that will drive awareness, conversion and loyalty while creating a strong emotional connection with our customers. This role oversees and manages the way our brand purpose is brought to life through campaigns, influencer marketing, content, partnerships and experiential—both here in the U.S. and abroad. We’re looking for a strategic leader who is equal parts art and science, with creative acumen and data-driven media fluency to partner alongside our Creative and Growth Marketing leaders. A passion for culture, creativity and customers is a must—this person will be the keeper and evangelist of our brand strategy throughout the entire company.
The role reports to the SVP of Brand and is based in our SoHo, New York Headquarters.
What you’ll do:
- Champion our brand positioning—setting direction and vision for Brand Marketing for the short, medium and long term
- Act as the guardian for our brand standards and guidelines across the entire business
- Responsible for driving strategy, budget, execution and KPIs for all Brand Marketing initiatives
- Build communications plans that are culturally relevant and brand-defining, with the goal to achieve the greatest reach, talk-value, and conversion down the funnel
- Lead team (of 10+ people) across campaigns, influencer marketing, content, partnerships and experiential to build cohesive, brand-defining channel plans while consistently evaluating and optimizing our current strategies as we scale our business
- Act as Brand Marketing lead for all cross-functional initiatives, ensuring all projects across the company align with strategic objectives and our brand positioning
- Leverage customer insights, data and feedback to develop communications strategies and drive marketing innovation—motivating the teams towards making any piece of brand communication a memorable and shareable experience
- Drive and maintain the marketing communications calendar, tied to business goals, product launches and culture
- Stay on top of marketing trends and news on culturally-relevant brands to help guide and shape future marketing innovation and strategies
- Develop and maintain key performance metric dashboards that track the efficacy of our Brand Marketing activity
Who you are:
- You have 12+ years of relevant working experience; brand management and/or creative agency experience preferred
- You are customer-obsessed—you understand our customer and how to speak to them at every point of the marketing funnel
- You obsess over how our brand shows up and have exceptionally high personal and team standards
- You are a leader who has managed a team of 10+ people—someone who people want to learn from, work with, and are inspired by
- You are deeply familiar with brand strategy, creative development, multi-channel execution (paid and owned), social platforms, influencer strategies, partnerships and PR amplification—have executed these at scale, driving business results and brand equity along the way
- You have experience leading briefings and management of creative agencies and in-house teams
- You define yourself as equal parts creative and data-driven, you leverage art and science in your strategy and decision making
- You have exceptional communication and story-telling skills that bring passion, energy and inspiration to the forefront
- Are culturally-aware and naturally curious—you know what other brands are doing
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment—agile and nimble in both leadership and execution
- You are hard-working with a "no task is too small" attitude
- You are never satisfied with the status quo, always thinking "how can we do this better?"
- You love to travel (but that's a given)—willing to travel for work
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you’re here for three years, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, and dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, reimbursements to incentivize you to work out, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with organic snacks and coffee.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, and more, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more…! You can bring your dog to work. We’ll give you money every month to grab coffee with coworkers. We have weekly team lunches and regular happy hours. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a modern lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to transform travel.
Since our launch in February 2016, we have become one of the fastest growing consumer brands in the world. We have sold millions of travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to nearly 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, and launched several new products and experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know that’s just the beginning!
In just over three years, we have already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies,” and a Forbes “Next Billion Dollar Startup.” We have also raised more than $156M in total equity funding to fuel our next phase of growth.
Today, we’re expanding into new travel product categories including apparel, wellness and lifestyle accessories as well as investing in the growth of physical retail in the US and abroad--with the plan to open 50 new stores in the next three years. Sound like something you want to be part of? We’re hiring!