Away is seeking a Director, Community Events who will build and drive how we tell our brand story through IRL, high-touch events. This role will spearhead the development of a robust activation calendar to foster community and engagement with Away and create highly engaging, thoughtful events that elevate our brand and our story. The ideal candidate is creative, detail-oriented, resourceful and execution-obsessed. This person will collaborate with other cross-functional leaders to ensure that our community events are brand-aligned and executed flawlessly.
This position reports to the VP of Customer and Community and is based out of our headquarters in SoHo, NYC.
What you'll do:
- Elevate our brand through high-touch community events in close collaboration with Retail, Experiential, Customer Insights and other relevant teams across the company
- Lead planning, production and execution of launch events for new store openings
- Spearhead and execute our retail programming strategy that tells our brand story, maximizing community engagement and customer advocacy
- Create programming calendar, facilitating communication between key stakeholders and the broader company (including those remotely at our retail locations)
- Develop processes to ensure flawless cross-functional planning throughout all phases of development to production and execution
- Lead our local marketing manager in Chicago who is building brand awareness and affinity at a local level through in-store events and marketing activities—develop the strategy to scale this program nationwide
- Develop, track and manage programming and event KPIs while consistently iterating on strategy and execution
Who you are:
- You have 8+ years of directly relevant experience: community/event marketing, event production, retail programming experience preferred
- You are a self-motivated, strategic creative worker with a drive for executional excellence
- You obsess over how our brand shows up and have exceptionally high personal and team standards
- You have a deep understanding of and passion for Away’s mission and existing community
- You are curious, with a pulse on culture, brands, and trends in community-based event marketing
- You have strong experiential acumen—you know how to create and produce thoughtful, engaging events that deliver against strategic objectives and are tailored for the intended audience, whether in our stores or elsewhere
- You think creatively and problem solve—always looking beyond the available options when up against roadblocks
- You possess strong communication skills and ability to cross-functionally collaborate to execute projects, including with those who may be remote
- You are highly organized, detail-oriented, with strong project management skills and the ability to prioritize and multitask
- You work with a "no task is too small" attitude
- You are never satisfied with the status quo, always thinking "how can we do this better?"
- You love making customers happy
- You love to travel (but that's a given) - willing to travel for work
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you’re here for three years, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, and dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, reimbursements to incentivize you to work out, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with organic snacks and coffee.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, and more, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more…! You can bring your dog to work. We’ll give you money every month to grab coffee with coworkers. We have weekly team lunches and regular happy hours. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a modern lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to transform travel.
Since our launch in February 2016, we have become one of the fastest growing consumer brands in the world. We have sold millions of travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to nearly 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, and launched several new products and experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know that’s just the beginning!
In just over three years, we have already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies,” and a Forbes “Next Billion Dollar Startup.” We have also raised more than $156M in total equity funding to fuel our next phase of growth.
Today, we’re expanding into new travel product categories including apparel, wellness and lifestyle accessories as well as investing in the growth of physical retail in the US and abroad--with the plan to open 50 new stores in the next three years. Sound like something you want to be part of? We’re hiring!