Away is seeking an experienced VP of Customer and Community, to drive strategy and execution of our end-to-end customer experience with our brand as we grow our business globally. As a company, our goal is that every customer who interacts with our brand has such an exceptional experience that they feel compelled to tell their family and friends about it at the dinner table that evening. This role will bring together our Customer Experience, Community Management and Social Media, Customer Insights and Community Events functions for a fully integrated point of view on driving customer engagement and brand love. A leader in this role must be a visionary with the ability to develop an overarching strategy for all things related to our customers. The ideal candidate is high-touch and data-driven, always putting our brand front and center, while driving operational excellence.
The role reports to the SVP of Brand and is based in our SoHo, New York Headquarters.
What you’ll do:
- Set the vision and lead the strategy for all customer-driven functions that set Away apart as having best-in-class customer experiences across Customer Experience, Community Management & Social Media, Customer Insights and Community Events
- Work with other leaders across the company including our leaders in People, Brand Marketing, Growth Marketing, Legal, Product Ops, Finance, Creative Strategy and more to develop and refine what makes Away’s end customer experience across all channels worth sharing with friends and family
- Lead and scale a team that today is more than 40 full time employees
- Strategize and execute a future vision for our growing CX team, including international expansion
- Lead the strategic implementation of technology and organizational solutions to scale our experience with our business growth
- Drive a feedback loop that integrates and enforces customer learnings to the entire business for constant iteration and optimization
- Own the voice of the customer across the entire company—evangelizing and setting an example for what it means to be customer-obsessed
- Act as the guardian for our brand standards and guidelines across all customer experience touchpoints
- Responsible for overseeing all KPIs across the Customer and Community landscape
Who you are:
- You have at least 15 years of experience in customer-facing strategy roles and you have at least 10 years of experience in leadership roles where you’ve developed and inspired teams at all levels
- You are brand-led and fluent in today’s Customer Experience and Community landscape across multiple channels
- You understand the customer journey and where we can alleviate pain points and deliver a memorable customer experience
- You obsess over how our brand shows up and have exceptionally high personal and team standards
- You constantly question the status quo and believe there is always a way we can continuously improve
- You are able to execute on today’s challenges while maintaining a futuristic mindset around where we’ll be six months, a year, and several years from now
- You are low-ego, high-energy, and exhibit the qualities of a servant leader, always asking what you can do to make everyone around you more successful
- You are a true listener and believe it takes multiple points of feedback and perspective to develop the right strategy
- You are data-driven and goal-oriented, you measure success both quantitatively and qualitatively, and understand the importance of both
- Your communication skills are unrivaled, and you know how to make people listen and understand
- You are curious and resourceful with a natural ability to solve problems and seek new information
- You love making customers happy
- You love to travel (but that's a given!)
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We believe that getting away changes your understanding of the world around you. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And after three years with Away, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take an additional well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. As a global company, our benefits and perks vary by region, but they align with our commitment to support our employees’ wellbeing both inside and outside of work. We offer insurance coverage, financial contributions for retirement, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with snacks and coffee to keep you fueled throughout the day.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs and grow your career along the way.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, company-wide trainings, and events, we’re building an inclusive environment where people can bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent and impact our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more… Dogs in the office, complimentary coffee with coworkers, weekly team lunches, quarterly team outings, and organized volunteer opportunities to give back to our local communities!
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a modern lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to transform travel.
Since our launch in February 2016, we have become one of the fastest growing consumer brands in the world. We have sold millions of travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to nearly 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, and launched several new products and experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know that’s just the beginning!
In just over three years, we have already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies,” and a Forbes “Next Billion Dollar Startup.” We have also raised more than $156M in total equity funding to fuel our next phase of growth.
Today, we’re expanding into new travel product categories including apparel, wellness and lifestyle accessories as well as investing in the growth of physical retail in the US and abroad--with the plan to open 50 new stores in the next three years. Sound like something you want to be part of? We’re hiring!