At Away, we are looking for a Head of Product Development, Sourcing and QA to lead the expansion of Away’s product line into a full travel lifestyle assortment as we continue to expand our product offering, the countries where our products are offered, and our brick-and-mortar footprint.
The ideal candidate is deeply experienced in product development, production, sourcing, and QC for luggage, bags, and small leather goods and is excited to lead a team in this phase of the business where product line expansion is a key strategic initiative. This role is based in our SoHo, NYC headquarters and reports to the VP of Global Operations.
Our mission at Away is to make travel as seamless and enjoyable as possible. We launched 3 years ago with the perfect carry-on, expanded later in the year to the perfect checked bags, and are now on a mission to create the perfect version of everything you need to travel seamlessly. We obsess over how we can improve our customers’ experiences by designing and manufacturing products for the travel experience and offering them with the benefits of being direct-to-consumer.
Some of what you’ll do:
- Build and lead our Product Development, Sourcing, QA team to develop new products and continuously improve existing products and packaging in a way that results in on-time, on-budget products that improve travel experiences and delight our customers.
- Aligned with our strategy for Global operations, develop a plan to build a product development staff in Asia, for new products and packaging, to strengthen our ability to bring new products to market, to support the continuous improvement efforts, and to manage daily communications with factory partners as needed.
- Work cross functionally with our Product Design, Creative Services , Insights, Production, Operations, and Marketing teams to take products from idea to launch to constant iterations
- Lead R&D of new, innovative materials and design concepts
- Work closely with our General Counsel on IP protection for Away product and innovations
- Lead sourcing for new product categories as well as supply chain redundancy for key existing product and component categories
- Strategize and implement a QC/QA program that can scale with our rapid business growth
- Manage Product Development annual budget including hiring, contractors, sampling, tooling, and travel
- Provide training, development, and mentorship for a lean but growing Product Development team so they can learn the ins and outs of quality, scalability, efficiency, and relationship-building when developing new products
Who you are:
- At least 15 years of experience in Product Development, Production, and Sourcing roles with 10+ years of experience leading teams in these roles. Strong experience in managing overseas factory relationships and internal staff.
- Experience with luggage, bags and leather accessories a must; hard shell luggage experience a plus
- Lead staff as an advisor and strategy leader with experience to understand issues and guide teams to solve issues
- Existing connections with suppliers in Asia and around the world
- Experience working with patent attorneys to protect innovative IP
- Deep knowledge of and experience in QC/QA strategy and ability to build processes and measure QC success
- Strong passion for people and a strong instinct for managing and developing talent
- Mandarin language skills a plus but not required
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Integrity beyond reproach
- Able to communicate clearly and seamlessly with a wide array of internal and external stakeholders
- Strategic thinker with the proven ability to execute and build scalable processes and systems
- Love to travel (but that's a given)
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We believe that getting away changes your understanding of the world around you. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And after three years with Away, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take an additional well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. As a global company, our benefits and perks vary by region, but they align with our commitment to support our employees’ wellbeing both inside and outside of work. We offer insurance coverage, financial contributions for retirement, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with snacks and coffee to keep you fueled throughout the day.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs and grow your career along the way.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, company-wide trainings, and events, we’re building an inclusive environment where people can bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent and impact our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more… Dogs in the office, complimentary coffee with coworkers, weekly team lunches, quarterly team outings, and organized volunteer opportunities to give back to our local communities!
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a modern lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to transform travel.
Since our launch in February 2016, we have become one of the fastest growing consumer brands in the world. We have sold millions of travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to nearly 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, and launched several new products and experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know that’s just the beginning!
In just over three years, we have already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies,” and a Forbes “Next Billion Dollar Startup.” We have also raised more than $156M in total equity funding to fuel our next phase of growth.
Today, we’re expanding into new travel product categories including apparel, wellness and lifestyle accessories as well as investing in the growth of physical retail in the US and abroad--with the plan to open 50 new stores in the next three years. Sound like something you want to be part of? We’re hiring!