Away is looking for a Director to lead Luggage sourcing and product development. Luggage is an established category at Away with tremendous opportunities for growth in the product lines and audience reach. This role will own all aspects of category performance: from building a scalable supply chain & increasing margin; to end-to-end new product development; continuous innovation on our core product; building legal protection & sustainability.
You will be excited to bring brand vision and new concepts to life with innovative techniques, materials, and an uncompromising focus on the highest quality and aesthetic outcomes in a way that excites our consumers.
This role reports to our Head of Product Development and Sourcing and is based in our SoHo, NYC headquarters. This role requires experience travelling to and working with manufacturers in Asia.
What you will do
- Manage team that drives end-to-end new product development, from timeline development, design, sourcing, costing and packaging, through to delivery at scale.
- Drive continuous improvement of core components, with a “no component is too small” attitude to material and designs that both enhance quality and optimize costs.
- Build and maintain long-term relationships with suppliers that treat them as part of the Away family and journey
- Set up scalable and derisked supplier base, including dual-sourcing all critical components, new supplier qualification, performance reviews, volume allocation & cost negotiations
- Proactively build and manage IP portfolio and work with manufacturers to commercialize innovations and protect our products
- Work hand in hand with the Away QC team and Asia PD office to establish priorities and communicate with factories to resolve issues
- Maintain a deep technical knowledge of luggage and be the custodian for the Away aesthetic and quality standards in our products
- Partner cross-functionally with all teams to ensure brand & strategy alignment and build strong feedback loops
Who you are:
- 10+ years of Product Development and Sourcing, with at least 3 years experience in luggage or related consumer goods industry: strollers, toys, home electronics, bicycles, furniture.
- Must have experience managing suppliers in Asia
- Excellent communicator with a wide array of internal and external stakeholders
- Proactively seek out input from every department at Away, customer/market data and qualitative feedback to make the best possible product
- At once respectful and deferential to the expertise of luggage factories, while also questioning the status quo and drawing on concepts from other industries to realize our design ambitions
- Process-oriented and highly organized
- Thrives in a fast paced environment that requires rigorous prioritization, agility and consensus-building mindset to deliver against tight timelines
- Great attention to detail
- Decision-bias - able to exercise judgment & discretion under stressful circumstances
- Want to live and breathe our product so that it can be enjoyed for life by millions of customers
- Love to travel (but that’s a given)
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We believe that getting away changes your understanding of the world around you. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And after three years with Away, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take an additional well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. As a global company, our benefits and perks vary by region, but they align with our commitment to support our employees’ wellbeing both inside and outside of work. We offer insurance coverage, financial contributions for retirement, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with snacks and coffee to keep you fueled throughout the day.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs and grow your career along the way.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, company-wide trainings, and events, we’re building an inclusive environment where people can bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent and impact our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more… Dogs in the office, complimentary coffee with coworkers, weekly team lunches, quarterly team outings, and organized volunteer opportunities to give back to our local communities!
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a modern lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to transform travel.
Since our launch in February 2016, we have become one of the fastest growing consumer brands in the world. We have sold millions of travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to nearly 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, and launched several new products and experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know that’s just the beginning!
In just over three years, we have already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies,” and a Forbes “Next Billion Dollar Startup.” We have also raised more than $156M in total equity funding to fuel our next phase of growth.
Today, we’re expanding into new travel product categories including apparel, wellness and lifestyle accessories as well as investing in the growth of physical retail in the US and abroad--with the plan to open 50 new stores in the next three years. Sound like something you want to be part of? We’re hiring!