We are a global lifestyle brand built on transforming the travel experience. In support of our mission, we are seeking a Director of Data Engineering to lead our Data Engineering team.
As a company that values diversity, equity, and inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds and experiences to apply for this position. We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups and mandatory bias training, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
Want to help us transform the travel industry? The ideal candidate will have had experience building data pipelines using Python, experience with distributed data storage systems, and experience working with batch processing using various open source technologies. You will report into the VP, Engineering and this position will be based in our Soho office.
What You'll Do:
- Lead enterprise-wide data platforms, operations, and architecture management activities
- Design and implement scalable data pipelines from our e-commerce platform, ERP, 3PLs, 3rd party services and our data warehouse
- Build out new integrations as the complexity of our business and the volume of our data continues to increase
- Work with analysts and business owners to iterate on data warehouse design and the data models that feed our business intelligence tool to make data more accessible and foster data-driven decision making across the company
- Implement systems to catch bugs and monitor data quality, ensuring our production data is always accurate and available for key stakeholders and business processes that depend on it
- This position is not just a management position, you will be expected to code, manage people, and architect for the future of data at Away as well as the department structure
Who you are:
- 6+ years designing, building, shipping, and maintaining efficient, reliable data pipelines, and data models as part of a data warehouse solution
- 3+ years managing people or mentoring a team of engineers
- BS degree in Computer Science, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
- Experience with streaming data platforms like Apache Kafka and Amazon Kinesis
- Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages (we use Python) and the command line/git
- Proficiency writing advanced SQL (e.g. window functions, subqueries, complex joins)
- Experience with the AWS suite of data and data science products (e.g. Redshift, S3, Sagemaker, etc), big data technologies (e.g. Hadoop, Hive, Spark), event streaming (Apache Kafka), or iPaaS solutions (e.g. MuleSoft, Dell Boomi)
- Experience with ETL tools like Airflow and dbt
- Can easily communicate technical concepts to a wide variety of audiences - from engineers to business stakeholders - and navigate between big-picture and technical details
- Experience with BI tools like Looker and Tableau
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We believe that getting away changes your understanding of the world around you. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And after three years with Away, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take an additional well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. As a global company, our benefits and perks vary by region, but they align with our commitment to support our employees’ wellbeing both inside and outside of work. We offer insurance coverage, financial contributions for retirement, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with snacks and coffee to keep you fueled throughout the day.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to
- do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs and grow your career along the way.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, company-wide trainings, and events, we’re building an inclusive environment where people can bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent and impact our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more…! You can bring your dog to work and we also organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Launched in 2016 by co-founders Steph Korey and Jen Rubio, Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel. By selling directly to customers both online and through retail stores, Away is able to eliminate retailer mark up and offer high quality, thoughtfully designed luggage and travel essentials without driving up the price. In just under four years, Away has already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” and one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies”. Away is headquartered in New York City, with offices in London and Sydney. To learn more, visit awaytravel.com.
Away is dedicated to hiring a diverse workplace that celebrates an inclusive culture and a sense of belonging. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, veteran status, genetic information or disability.
Away is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.