Away is seeking a strategic, thoughtful and visionary Brand Design Director to join our Creative team. You will lead the ideation and execution of design assets that continue to position Away as a creative leader while also delivering on business goals. Championing design excellence across various platforms and initiatives, you push to transform the way people think about travel and how they engage with Away. An expert in branding and visual identity, you know how to manage and evolve the brand both in-house and in partnership with external agencies. As a natural leader, you motivate and mentor other designers to foster the best possible work.
This role will report into the VP of Creative Strategy and work from our headquarters in SoHo, NYC.
What you’ll do:
- Effectively lead brand-building design that delivers on Away’s purpose and mission.
- In partnership with the Creative Director, Director of Copy and Director of Art Direction, synthesize briefs to build out insightful creative platforms that can successfully translate across multiple channels.
- Own and evolve our brand guidelines and set the design direction across our channels to reinforce the brand.
- Responsible for conceptualizing creative strategies and initiatives that position Away as a leader in innovative campaigns and design.
- Grow and inspire a design team and manage their daily output while continually pushing creative boundaries and actively fostering a culture of creative excellence.
- Work cross-functionally with full Creative team—including Art Direction, Copy, UX and Production—to develop creative direction for campaigns, partnerships, product launches, experiential, and more, while ensuring cohesive execution across all assets and platforms.
- Work closely with cross-functional partners in Brand Marketing, Growth, Product Design, Packaging Development, and more to define and align the creative execution with company-wide business initiatives.
- Proactively communicate with other teams and foster cross-functional collaboration that encourages an open dialogue and helps us align on thoughtfully considered decisions
Who you are:
- 8+ years of experience at a creative/branding agency or design-led consumer brand
- A strong, multidisciplinary portfolio that showcases a finely tuned and nuanced aesthetic—with expertise in identity and design systems, typography, visual storytelling and art direction (packaging a plus)
- The energy and drive to push boundaries and deliver the best design in the industry
- Passionate and curious with a keen awareness of the evolving landscape of technologies, tools, and trends in design
- Extensive experience conceptualizing, designing and producing brand campaigns, as well as leading and mentoring design teams
- Nuanced understanding of Away’s brand, aesthetic, voice, and mission
- Leadership level communication with the ability to clearly articulate design decisions
- Strong strategic decision making skills and can nimbly weigh business goals alongside creative goals
- Patient, flexible and able to multitask under tight timelines
- Expert in the Adobe Suite, G-Suite, Keynote, and any other relevant tools needed
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you’re here for three years, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, and dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, reimbursements to incentivize you to work out, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with organic snacks and coffee.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, and more, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more…! You can bring your dog to work. We’ll give you money every month to grab coffee with coworkers. We have weekly team lunches and regular happy hours. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a modern lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to transform travel.
Since our launch in February 2016, we have become one of the fastest growing consumer brands in the world. We have sold millions of travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to nearly 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, and launched several new products and experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know that’s just the beginning!
In just over three years, we have already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies,” and a Forbes “Next Billion Dollar Startup.” We have also raised more than $156M in total equity funding to fuel our next phase of growth.
Today, we’re expanding into new travel product categories including apparel, wellness and lifestyle accessories as well as investing in the growth of physical retail in the US and abroad--with the plan to open 50 new stores in the next three years. Sound like something you want to be part of? We’re hiring!