We are a global lifestyle brand built on transforming the travel experience. In support of our mission, we are seeking a Managing Director, China to join our China Expansion team.
Our China Expansion team thoughtfully develops Away’s market entry strategy into the Greater China region, the largest market outside of the U.S. The mission is to transform how the global Chinese consumers travel by adapting the Away experience through global and regionalized (China) strategies.
Want to help us transform the travel industry? The ideal candidate will lead all strategy and operations for our business in China, inclusive of market entry. This person will be working closely with many cross-functional teams at our NYC HQ and build multiple teams in Shanghai including: marketing, operations, customer experience and more. You will report into the VP, International and be based in Shanghai.
As a company that values inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds and experiences to apply for this position.
What You’ll Do:
- Be the voice of our Chinese customer and lead all our strategic initiatives and operations in the region. As we expand from Tier 1 to Tier 2 to Tier 3 cities and beyond, you’ll guide how we adjust our voice and tactics as we grow
- Own the China roadmap and P&L while partnering with other country / regional heads in Europe, Australia, Canada (and more) to achieve our overall international goals
- Adapting Away’s brand for the Chinese market while maintaining consistency with Away’s brand positioning globally
- Hire and build a high-performing team in China as the business scales, ensuring that we have the right people for the right work at the right time
- Build a company culture that aligns with company culture at our global New York City headquarters will also localizing for the Chinese context
- Develop and execute local marketing strategies that adhere to Away’s core brand DNA while also understanding how to tweak these strategies accordingly in order to successfully acquire and retain the Chinese customer — ultimately driving revenue via physical retail, Tmall, and/or a .cn site (as well as other potential online channels)
- Drive strategy for and set up the necessary infrastructure for the Chinese business to operate at scale, from CX to warehousing to language translation to web production, in partnership with our global centers of excellence in New York
- Develop strategic partnerships that you identify as the best opportunities for Away to push our business forward in China
Who You Are:
- 15+ years of experience in marketing, operations, strategy, and/or international expansion, with progressively greater responsibilities. Must include at least 3 years in a China-focused operating role with cross-functional responsibility, ideally at a Western consumer brand
- A deep understanding of how to establish brand awareness from scratch and gain cultural credibility in the Chinese market
- Experience in both e-commerce and physical retail operations – prior experience running an end-to-end Tmall operation is a must
- Experience owning and managing a P&L
- A track record of hiring and developing high-performing teams
- A growth mindset, excited by change and ready to challenge the status quo
- Must have full professional fluency in Mandarin Chinese (speaking, reading, writing) and English
- Hard working with a "no task is too small" attitude
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Passionate about travel (but that’s a given!)
- Bachelors degree, similar field of study, or equivalent practical experience
Launched in 2016 by co-founders Steph Korey and Jen Rubio, Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel. By selling directly to customers both online and through retail stores, Away is able to eliminate retailer mark up and offer high quality, thoughtfully designed luggage and travel essentials without driving up the price. In just under four years, Away has already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” and one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies”. Away is headquartered in New York City, with offices in London and Sydney. To learn more, visit awaytravel.com.
Away is dedicated to hiring a diverse workplace that celebrates an inclusive culture and a sense of belonging. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, veteran status, genetic information or disability.
Away is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.