Away is seeking a Managing Director, China to lead all strategy and operations for our business in China, inclusive of market entry. You’ll be working closely with many cross-functional teams at our New York City headquarters and also build a team of employees in Shanghai spanning marketing, operations, customer experience, creative, e-commerce, physical retail, PR, and more. This role reports to the VP, International and will be based in our Chinese headquarters in Shanghai.
What You’ll Do:
- You’ll be the voice of our Chinese customer and lead all our strategic initiatives and operations in the region. As we expand from Tier 1 to Tier 2 to Tier 3 cities and beyond, you’ll guide how we adjust our voice and tactics as we grow.
- You will own the China roadmap and P&L while partnering with other country / regional heads in Europe, Australia, Canada (and more) to achieve our overall international goals
- You will be tasked with adapting Away’s brand for the Chinese market while maintaining consistency with Away’s brand positioning globally
- You’ll hire and build a high-performing team in China as the business scales, ensuring that we have the right people for the right work at the right time
- You will build a company culture that aligns with company culture at our global New York City headquarters will also localizing for the Chinese context
- You’ll develop and execute local marketing strategies that adhere to Away’s core brand DNA while also understanding how to tweak these strategies accordingly in order to successfully acquire and retain the Chinese customer — ultimately driving revenue via physical retail, Tmall, and/or a .cn site (as well as other potential online channels)
- You will drive strategy for and set up the necessary infrastructure for the Chinese business to operate at scale, from CX to warehousing to language translation to web production, in partnership with our global centers of excellence in New York
- You’ll develop strategic partnerships that you identify as the best opportunities for Away to push our business forward in China
- You’ll manage the daily and long-term needs of your business. No project is too big or too small to handle.
You Should Have:
- Minimum 15 years of experience in marketing, operations, strategy, and/or international expansion, with progressively greater responsibilities. Must include at least 3 years in a China-focused operating role with cross-functional responsibility, ideally at a Western consumer brand
- A deep understanding of how to establish brand awareness from scratch and gain cultural credibility in the Chinese market
- Experience in both e-commerce and physical retail operations – prior experience running an end-to-end Tmall operation is a must
- Experience owning and managing a P&L
- A track record of hiring and developing high-performing teams
- A growth mindset, excited by change and ready to challenge the status quo
- Must have full professional fluency in Mandarin Chinese (speaking, reading, writing) and English
- Hard working with a "no task is too small" attitude.
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment.
- Passionate about travel (but that’s a given!)
You’ll Love Working At Away Because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have paid time off to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you’re here for three years, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups and our growing team in China, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more...
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a modern lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to transform travel.
Since our launch in February 2016, we have become one of the fastest growing consumer brands in the world. We have sold millions of travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to nearly 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, and launched several new products and experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know that’s just the beginning!
In just over three years, we have already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies,” and a Forbes “Next Billion Dollar Startup.” We have also raised more than $156M in total equity funding to fuel our next phase of growth.
Today, we’re expanding into new travel product categories including apparel, wellness and lifestyle accessories as well as investing in the growth of physical retail in the US and abroad--with the plan to open 50 new stores in the next three years. Sound like something you want to be part of? We’re hiring!