We're looking for a PR Senior Manager (US) to contribute to driving and executing the communications strategy related for the US market, further increasing our brand awareness and strengthening our company’s reputation. You will report directly to the Director of PR (US) and work from our headquarters in SoHo, NYC.
As a company that values inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds and experiences to apply for this position.
What You'll Do:
- Project Management + Cross-Functional Representation: Supporting the US PR Director, serve as the US PR Team lead on project managing ongoing priorities to streamline various projects from ideation through to completion. You’ll support cross-functional efforts, by representing the PR team in various meetings, partnering closely with teams across the company to manage cross-functional workflows.
- Media Relations: Contribute to the development and implementation of the global and localized PR plans (in partnership with the Senior Associate, Senior Manager, Director, as well as external PR agencies), with a particular emphasis on brand opportunities in the US, contributing to furthering the campaign narratives through earned media related to campaign of evergreen efforts. You bring an existing network of journalist contacts from top general consumer, business, trade outlets, and you’ll support more junior members of the team as you work together to build relationships with media across the US.
- Story Development / Pitch Ideation: Monitor media and document trends, proof points, stats, and other KPIs in order to proactively identify new story angles and relevant pitches to strengthen Away’s messaging and strategy in the US. You’ll have a particular emphasis on the PR Team’s corporate communications efforts, whether related to our Employer Branding (bringing Away’s culture to life externally in order to attract, retain and inspire employees in corporate and retail locations), Social Impact (partnering with our Social Impact team to highlight our initiatives), or otherwise.
- Writing: Develop compelling written content by contributing to Q&As, statements, talking points, briefings, award nominations, or media pitches.
- Executive Support: Create and conduct media briefings for key company spokespeople, facilitate and staff interviews, and share read-outs and notes following for the team’s visibility.
- Inbox Management: With support from the Manager and Senior Associate, work with the Director of PR (US) to guide timely and high-quality responses to all inbound media requests for the US.
- Rapid Response: Serve as primary support for the Director of PR (US) on crisis communications, flagging possible vulnerabilities and potential consequences, and maintaining a Crisis Communications protocol program (response systems, internal training, etc.).
- Goal Setting + Reporting: You contribute to setting (in collaboration with Manager and Director) monthly objectives for your market with clear KPIs, working closely with the PR Assistant to contribute to team- and company-wide reporting.
Who You Are:
- You have 6+ years of directly relevant experience, with a preference for both agency and in-house experience on a public relations / communications team.
- You’re a strategic thinker as well as a doer. You can think big-picture and also roll up your sleeves to get the job done, focusing your and company resources on efforts that add significant strategic value and long-term advancement to our overarching communications goals.
- You’re a self-starter. You can recommend and initiate projects with minimal direction.
- You’re a relationship builder and quickly becoming a media relations pro. You’re nurturing productive and trustworthy relationships with agency partners and are in the process of building out your own media network when relevant, identifying and collaborating with key outlets in your markets as well as internal stakeholders.
- You have excellent verbal communication skills and you’re great under pressure, possessing the ability to act as a company spokesperson, with on-the-record experience in both print and broadcast media interviews.
- You’re creative. You’re able to conceptualize newsworthy moments, develop story ideas even when the hook isn’t obvious to most, and follow through with pitches that land great media.
- You’re a skilled writer and editor, comfortable developing content for a variety of purposes (Q&As, statements, talking points, or media pitches) and require limited edits from your Director.
- You’re a natural partner and trusted advisor. You’re able to work seamlessly with external agencies to ensure alignment and execution against multiple goals. You have a proven ability to advise internal partners on communications strategy and are comfortable working closely with executive leadership.
- You care about results. You’re able to measure success and report on what’s working and what’s not so we can iterate and improve on a regular basis.
- You show strong attention to detail and have exceptional organizational skills.
- Maintaining positivity and poise in even the most stressful situations.
- Hard working with a "no task is too small" attitude.
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment.
- Passionate about travel (but that’s a given!)
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you’re here for three years, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, and dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, reimbursements to incentivize you to work out, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with organic snacks and coffee.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, and more, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more…! You can bring your dog to work. We’ll give you money every month to grab coffee with coworkers. We have weekly team lunches and regular happy hours. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a modern lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to transform travel.
Since our launch in February 2016, we have become one of the fastest growing consumer brands in the world. We have sold millions of travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to nearly 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, and launched several new products and experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know that’s just the beginning!
In just over three years, we have already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies,” and a Forbes “Next Billion Dollar Startup.” We have also raised more than $156M in total equity funding to fuel our next phase of growth.
Today, we’re expanding into new travel product categories including apparel, wellness and lifestyle accessories as well as investing in the growth of physical retail in the US and abroad--with the plan to open 50 new stores in the next three years. Sound like something you want to be part of? We’re hiring!